Strike Action

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I think it is counter productive to be happy singing and dancing whilst on strike especially on a picket line when they are trying to get the public's sympathy because of how unhappy and downtrodden they are.

I think people are a bit more nuanced than you're giving them credit for. Just because someone is on strike they don't have to look like their wearing sack cloth & ashes, and a hair shirt.

I understand there's one or two here that are barbaric in their world view, but that's not everyone

47 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Same claims were made about Sports Direct in Shirebrook . Not true .

If this was the same warehouse & distribution centre which had ambulances up there all the time, and a poor woman gave birth there as she was frightened to have time off, then these reports contradict what you're saying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36855374

https://news.sky.com/story/sports-direct-working-conditions-appalling-10508933

Edited by Mister M

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think people are a bit more nuanced than you're giving them credit for. Just because someone is on strike they don't have to look like their wearing sack cloth & ashes, and a hair shirt.

I understand there's one or two here that are barbaric in their world view, but that's not everyone

I must disagree with you. If someone is striking because they feel under appreciated and underpaid I think they should act that way not as though a picket line is a fun day out.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I must disagree with you. If someone is striking because they feel under appreciated and underpaid I think they should act that way not as though a picket line is a fun day out.

But even if strikers did look downtrodden and miserable in front of the cameras, then some would say they're only being like that for the cameras sake; or they know someone who's striking, and they have 3 holidays a year, 2 cars, and eat take aways every evening.

Edited by Mister M

Just now, Mister M said:

But even if strikers did look downtrodden and miserable in front of the cameras, then some would say they're only being like that for the cameras sake; or they know someone who's striking, and they have 3 holidays a year, 2 cars, and eat take aways every evening.

But it is first impressions that can not be altered.

They want public sympathy and so act in an appropriate way.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

But it is first impressions that can not be altered.

They want public sympathy and so act in an appropriate way.

If it's nurses and teachers then many of them have the public's sympathies anyway for what they have to deal with.

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

If this was the same warehouse & distribution centre which had ambulances up there all the time, and a poor woman gave birth there as she was frightened to have time off, then these reports contradict what you're saying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36855374

https://news.sky.com/story/sports-direct-working-conditions-appalling-10508933

What was the outcome of these committees/hearings ?

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Agreed, but we are talking them wanting sympathy for strike action.

All this was started because West77 said that Amazon workers weren't singing and dancing like like nurses were.

I haven't seen any singing or dancing from nurses on strike, though a forummer did their knickers in a twist when nurses did a dance routine during covid. That was filmed and there is evidence of that, true. But maybe they're trying to cheer themselves up. Nothing wrong in that. 

If some members of the public are so spiteful and miserable that they begrudge working or striking people a bit of a laugh, then that says more about them than it does about any striking worker.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

What was the outcome of these committees/hearings ?

That Sports Direct is an utter disgrace, and a cheapskate exploiter.

Edited by Mister M

Just now, Mister M said:

All this was started because West77 said that Amazon workers weren't singing and dancing like like nurses were.

I haven't seen any singing or dancing from nurses on strike, though a forummer did their knickers in a twist when nurses did a dance routine during covid. That was filmed and there is evidence of that, true. But maybe they're trying to cheer themselves up. Nothing wrong in that. 

If some members of the public are so spiteful and miserable that they begrudge working or striking people a bit of a laugh, then that says more about them than it does about any striking worker.

Sorry but you miss my point which is that the strikers need to attract sympathy for their cause and acting in an happy way does not get that response more likely a comment of "They don't seem too unhappy with their lot from what I've seen on the picket line "