Strike Action

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

The strikes aren't about the workers

They are purely political by left wing unions 

To cause as much disruption as they can till the next election 

It’s like Steve Wright in the afternoon.

With only 50% of the wit.

Mr Angry was better imo.

Edited by Prettytom

The strikes aren't about the workers

They are purely political by left wing unions 

To cause as much disruption as they can till the next election 

Not so much to do with politics   -   it's about the railways.

The unions are trying to stop changes which would affect safety and also trying to safeguard jobs.

We have always had guards because, in the event of a train crash,  the driver is usually killed and there is a process which guards undertake to protect passengers.  Government wants one man trains.

Left wing unions are naturally supporting workers against right wing government who believe in cuts, cuts,  and more cuts.

Other similar countries spend much more on their railways than we do and have better, and more modern railways as a result whilst we continue to cut.

Of course strikes cause disruption   -   they would be pointless if they didn't.          Finance railways properly without needing strikes then.                           

Edited by Organgrinder

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Not so much to do with politics   -   it's about the railways.

We have always had guards because, in the event of a train crash,  the driver is usually killed and there is a process which guards undertake to protect passengers.  

Makes good sense.

Really? 

How often do trains crash?

This is just about the power of the unions

The sooner they bring driverless trains the better

There were 3  in 2019,  4  in 2020  and 2  in 2021 ( last year for which there are statistics).       9 in 3 years is more than enough.

A single member of staff could be taken ill whilst driving and railways suffer derailments besides all out crashes.  There was one in Sheffield Midland Station.

How often do Planes crash but they don't send them up with one pilot and no other member of staff on board.

Why are we the only country that can't run railways properly and why are we between 20 and 40 years behind other similar nations ?

We know full well you hate Unions as much as I hate cut back Tory governments.

As for driverless ( computer controlled ) trains,  they can't make computer software safe from hackers when they are stood still on a desk.

Edited by Organgrinder

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Remember how there was 'no money' to settle the RMT dispute? Avanti West Coast management have let the truth slip, along with even more worrying truths about rail privatisation in general. Have a read

Absolutely disgusting but not at all a surprise to me.  I fully expect all these  franchises / privatisations,   to be run along lines like that.

The government and their rich friends conspire to ease money out of the public purse and pass it around among themselves whilst the pubic suffer ever worsening services at greater cost.

31 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Remember how there was 'no money' to settle the RMT dispute? Avanti West Coast management have let the truth slip, along with even more worrying truths about rail privatisation in general. Have a read

You got anything from a legitimate source rather than a left-wing blog site.

I'd like to see the full facts in context of the presentation, what the slides were being used for, specifically the purpose of such wording, who was the audience to this presentation because it looks to me nothing more than a jokey title being used on an internal document which is a sort of thing I use on my internal presentations every day.

A supposed "news site" should be presenting it in fact, not filled with a load of clearly hyped up biased opinion, cherry picked quotes from equally hysterical biased reactors and politicos trying to use it as some election points scoring.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

You got anything from a legitimate source rather than a left-wing blog site.

I'd like to see the full facts in context of the presentation, what the slides were being used for, specifically the purpose of such wording, who was the audience to this presentation because it looks to me nothing more than a jokey title being used on an internal document which is a sort of thing I use on my internal presentations every day.

A supposed "news site" should be presenting it in fact, not filled with a load of clearly hyped up biased opinion, cherry picked quotes from equally hysterical biased reactors and politicos trying to use it as some election points scoring.

Ooh, I bet that hurt. The Novara story is reproduced in the Guardian today and contains an admission from Avanti that Novara's information is correct. Still, fleecing the taxpayer is "simply business", I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Ooh, I bet that hurt. The Novara story is reproduced in the Guardian today and contains an admission from Avanti that Novara's information is correct. Still, fleecing the taxpayer is "simply business", I suppose.

Why would it hurt me?  Doesn't affect me. I'm not employed by Avanti. I'm not a member of the government.

I'm just making a point on this discussion forum.  A point about how so called "news" sources quoted on here are frequently nothing more than biased blog sites.

It also doesn't change my overall opinion that this issue over what is a clearly jokey title within an internal presentation to a private company's managers has been turned into a mountain out of a molehill. Nothing more than stirring up by the obvious and usual politicos, union mouthpieces and left wingers.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1