Strike Action

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I was just pointing out how there are different work patterns in different employments.

How much do they get for a basic week ?

A week which includes weekend working as rotered ?

A week where a weekend is worked at overtime rates ?

I don't know the details of their contracts. I am not a jealous person, so it doesn't bother me if a train driver or bank manager is well paid. I am sure most workers, even train staff, will get a pay rise MUCH lower than inflation.

Average pay rises are 6% at the moment, so that is 8% below RPI inflation.

Everyone getting 8% cut in living standards, per year, is MASSIVE.

It’s fairly obvious that nurses are not getting a 19% pay rise. 

Its equally obvious that the government are not getting away with 4% +/-.

Just give them 8% and save a load of old dears the pain of waiting for a hip replacement 

6 hours ago, sibon said:

It’s fairly obvious that nurses are not getting a 19% pay rise. 

Its equally obvious that the government are not getting away with 4% +/-.

Just give them 8% and save a load of old dears the pain of It'swaiting for a hip replacement 

It's common practice to ask for more than you know you're going to get, and come down to a reasonable figure with negotiation.  Unfortunately the media / government publish the top figure in order to  outrage the public against the Unions  and claim they're 'holding the country to ransom,' another neat Tory soundbite, to save the public from having to think too deeply. . .  In fact it's usually about more than just money anyway.

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

There are a few accidents involving DLR, in one accident it's stated that one was manned.

The point is that train drivers don't want responsibility for the doors, the guard is closer, on a train without a driver, a guard should be responsible for the door, he can see that person running for the train, and the drunks kissing through the window.

I've not heard of these, so they must have been fairly minor if they haven't made national news.

As stated previously, guards don't close doors on Thameslink and many other services. Having thought about it,  the only services I have been on recently where a 'second man' does this is on Southern Railway who have some quite old rolling stock, and even then it is done electronically.

Edited by RollingJ