Strike Action

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Today is the NHS nursing’s first ever strike, I’m told.

If that is not indicative enough, that things have now gotten to the stage wherein swearing is necessary, I don’t know what is 😉

We now have rail workers, road workers, nurses, teachers, postal workers, physiotherapists all striking. There are more, but I have strike fatigue.

Those groups aren’t enemies of the people, they are the people. They do essential jobs.

Not funding proper pay rises is a political choice. One that the Tories will come to regret, because hammering hard working key workers really isn’t a good look. 

With so many groups striking at the same time at the time which will cause most disruption seems to be more than coincidental.

What I do not understand is if conditions are a very relevant cause for the strike why isn't this the focus of the strike instead of pay.

I am sure this would gain more public support.

Ex Tory chair Sir Jake Berry says that government should improve pay offer to nurses ‘by a lot’:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/governments-pay-offer-to-nurses-too-low-says-top-tory_uk_639aeb55e4b0804966b415b9

Glad to see him changing his tune....only the other month he was lecturing folk who couldn't afford their energy bills tp "go out and get a better job"

Edited by Mister M

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

We now have rail workers, road workers, nurses, teachers, postal workers, physiotherapists all striking. There are more, but I have strike fatigue.

<I’m aware, I do follow British news closely from here 😉 even have the strikes’ at-a-glance mini-diary thing bookmarked, cos we’re driving over next week and need to plan for journey disruption factors>

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

Those groups aren’t enemies of the people, they are the people. They do essential jobs.

Indeed, and which goes a long way to explain the steadfast support from the general public, notwithstanding any amount of red top-driven whattaboutery from Tory lackeys here and elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

Not funding proper pay rises is a political choice. One that the Tories will come to regret, because hammering hard working key workers really isn’t a good look. 

I am very sincerely hoping that a great many people, the pleasant centrists (😉) and more, have reached gaslighting saturation and are seeing the Tories’ latest conquer-and-divide efforts, aimed at yesterday’s clap-worthy heroes, for the rank hypocrisy that it is, wherein these strikes are merely the baby steps of a Great Political Heave getting underway.

I had been wondering, for a good 4+ years now, how much longer ye folks were going to continue taking that s***e from your ever-less capable political masters and begging for seconds 😆

Just now, harvey19 said:

Just to clarify matters do any posters know the current salaries and allowances of the strikers ?

Does that matter? Should you have a say what rates of pay they get, we do know they have had low pay increases in recent years.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Does that matter? Should you have a say what rates of pay they get, we do know they have had low pay increases in recent years.

Yes it does matter.

You appear to have no idea what they are paid, or how much in real money terms they want.

So someone on an high grade earning say £70,000 per year deserves a 19% pay rise by your reckoning.

Edited by harvey19

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

if the public are to make a judgement, of course it matters.

they are rejecting the offer from an independent review body

Edited by fools

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The 'second man' goes, on most local services, admittedly - but he is not a guard as such.

Why are you stuck on what he is called? At my local station he gets out of the train, waits until it's clear, gets back on and the doors are closed.

1 minute ago, fools said:

if the public are to make a judgement, of course it matters.

They have had below inflation increases, at least we can agree on that.

Just now, El Cid said:

Why are you stuck on what he is called? At my local station he gets out of the train, waits until it's clear, gets back on and the doors are closed.

I'm not. If I remember correctly from when this whole thing kicked off a few years back, it was the unions who said 'we need a 'GUARD' on every train, and this is still part of their argument  - they refuse to admit that amending their role , changing the job title does not change their responsibilities re despatching the train safely.