Strike Action

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

A genuine reason to demand changes.

I did not know the £5,000 bursary had been stopped.

I firmly believe that courses which teach people the skills needed in this country should be free.

Future planning should be able to determine how many people and which skills are needed in the future and suitable applicants chosen to be trained.

with the courses being free I would require the graduate to work in this country for a fixed period of time or replay a percentage of the fees if leaving early.

Yes the bursary was stopped about 7 or 8 years ago now.

Sadly the adult education budget has been decimated, so many of the skills that we are short of as a nation, we either open up to people from other countries, or rely on people's good will to take out a student loan, so they can retrain and skill up.

Part of the issue is that in recent years there hasn't been future planning in many of our critical industries, which is one of the reasons what there is a shortage.

14 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I've just been listening to the news and one of the nurses on strike was saying part of the issue is nurses not been able to provide adequate care because there are so many vacancies that are left unfilled.

I would guess that the ambulance crews feel the same. None stop work, they could be waiting the whole day with the one seriously ill person on their ambulance 

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Yes the bursary was stopped about 7 or 8 years ago now.

Sadly the adult education budget has been decimated, so many of the skills that we are short of as a nation, we either open up to people from other countries, or rely on people's good will to take out a student loan, so they can retrain and skill up.

Part of the issue is that in recent years there hasn't been future planning in many of our critical industries, which is one of the reasons what there is a shortage.

It is disgraceful how are future planning has failed to provide skilled workers and how the government relied on other countries training their people who have come here to help us run services.

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I would guess that the ambulance crews feel the same. None stop work, they could be waiting the whole day with the one seriously ill person on their ambulance 

Disgraceful situation that the government has allowed to happen.

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It is disgraceful how are future planning has failed to provide skilled workers and how the government relied on other countries training their people who have come here to help us run services.

Disgraceful situation that the government has allowed to happen.

I think this strike has been many years in the making.

The Government really have taken their eye off the ball on this and many other issues, because they were so focused on "getting Brexit done". And to be frank, Brexit is so dire, that they can't even point to that as their one and only success story.

Laughable really.

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think this strike has been many years in the making.

The Government really have taken their eye off the ball on this and many other issues, because they were so focused on "getting Brexit done". And to be frank, Brexit is so dire, that they can't even point to that as their one and only success story.

Laughable really.

I voted for Brexit but despair at how it has been or not been implemented in areas.

Sadly I think the nurses have done themselves harm by asking for the 19% pay rise.

A reasonable demand on salary rises but emphasis on improving the NHS would have got them massive support.

Itt is unbelievable  that the government and opposition have allowed a situation to develop where a sick person can be waiting several hours for an ambulance to arrive and then stuck in the ambulance after arriving at the hospital.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

I voted for Brexit but despair at how it has been or not been implemented in areas.

Sadly I think the nurses have done themselves harm by asking for the 19% pay rise.

A reasonable demand on salary rises but emphasis on improving the NHS would have got them massive support.

Itt is unbelievable  that the government and opposition have allowed a situation to develop where a sick person can be waiting several hours for an ambulance to arrive and then stuck in the ambulance after arriving at the hospital.

Perhaps the 19% is a negotiating position? I'm not a nurse, or an expert in industrial relations though.