Strike Action

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

It is disgraceful how are future planning has failed to provide skilled workers and how the government relied on other countries training their people who have come here to help us run services.

Disgraceful situation that the government has allowed to happen.

I'm afraid this is what happens when toy governments are more focused on winning the culture war and baiting the 'wokerati' than doing their actual jobs.

Re: the 19% claim, it's possibly a) an attempt to regain some of the pay erosion of the last 10 years on top of inflation, b) naivety on the part of the RCN, given that they haven't been on strike for ages, or c) it allows the government to pay closer to inflation while looking like they haven't had to cave in. Or a combination of all three.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Maybe ACAS will be called in, if they want to resolve this strike. But the government seem happy to let the striking workers carry on.

Whilst focusing on pay claims they can divert attention from the changes needed to the NHS.

The 19% pay claim was a big mistake  even if it was for a shock effect and never really expected.

9 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm afraid this is what happens when toy governments are more focused on winning the culture war and baiting the 'wokerati' than doing their actual jobs.

But that is not the main reason it's happening though as the problems go deeper and are also Europe-wide and not just confined to the UK.

A link that I have posted (#85) before about it.

https://www.socialeurope.eu/health-and-social-care-staff-shortages-critical

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Maybe ACAS will be called in, if they want to resolve this strike. But the government seem happy to let the striking workers carry on.

That's the impression I'm getting.

It feels like a 'them against us' attitude which is emanating from some Government ministers, in the hope of winning public support rather than helping to resolve the issue

Grant Schapps, when Transport Secretary was said not to want to meet with the unions, but his successors are more conciliatory. Meanwhile, the Health Secretary Steven Barclay is having more pressure put on him by various members of his own side:

Former Tory ministers join calls for Sunak to negotiate with nurses | Nursing | The Guardian

36 minutes ago, Mister M said:

That's the impression I'm getting.

It feels like a 'them against us' attitude which is emanating from some Government ministers, in the hope of winning public support rather than helping to resolve the issue

Grant Schapps, when Transport Secretary was said not to want to meet with the unions, but his successors are more conciliatory. Meanwhile, the Health Secretary Steven Barclay is having more pressure put on him by various members of his own side:

Former Tory ministers join calls for Sunak to negotiate with nurses | Nursing | The Guardian

I was surprised that Ken Clarke said the tactic of not negotiating was correct. But there is also the out of date figures used by the pay review body. But these pay review bodies are just in the government's pockets. 

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I was surprised that Ken Clarke said the tactic of not negotiating was correct. But there is also the out of date figures used by the pay review body. But these pay review bodies are just in the government's pockets. 

Yes that's been discussed on Newsnight at the moment.

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Whilst focusing on pay claims they can divert attention from the changes needed to the NHS.

The 19% pay claim was a big mistake  even if it was for a shock effect and never really expected.

I don’t think that it was a mistake. It has certainly grabbed the headlines.

I’m sure that the eventual deal will be much less, probably 8%, but they are highlighting how much their pay has been eroded under this incompetent bunch of fools that we’ve suffered for the past decade.

In time, the whole sum that has been eroded  needs addressing.

Anyway, the first strikes in Sheffield will be early in January. I’m off to join them on the picket line. Are you coming too? I’ll give you a lift.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

I’m sure that the eventual deal will be much less, probably 8%, but they are highlighting how much their pay has been eroded under this incompetent bunch of fools that we’ve suffered for the past decade.

Anyway, the first strikes in Sheffield will be early in January. I’m off to join them on the picket line. Are you coming too? I’ll give you a lift.

Good on ya.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Have you forgotten that at your request we are not interacting.

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Have you forgotten that at your request we are not interacting.

Do you want a lift, or not?

There are conditions though. As I find you tedious, you will have to sit in the back and not attempt any small talk.