Strike Action

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

First , Harvey now Fools 😂😂😂

Oliver Dowden keeps quoting the  19% the strikers are asking for , He knows they will take less , but not the stupid sum they are offering  Dowden is just trying to get the public on there side ,  The people who are striking are the British back bone , I wonder how much the front bench are worth , and for that matter how much the inter viewers on the BBC get per year ,  Look how much  the last three prim ministers can claim per year 115. Thousand per year ,  is that fair  well I don’t think so ,

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Average regular pay growth was 6.9% for the private sector in August to October 2022, and 2.7% for the public sector; this is the largest growth rate seen for the private sector outside the pandemic period.

What is the average salary these days?

• The wholesaling, retailing, hotels and restaurants sector saw the largest regular growth rate at 7.4%, followed by the finance and business services sector at 5.9%.

According to the ONS, in 2021 the average UK salary was £38,131 for a full-time role and £13,549 for a part-time role. This is a slight decrease from the average UK salary in 2020, which placed the average UK wage for a full-time role at £38,552 and part-time at £13,819.26 Oct 2022

Which shows how statistics can be so complex, how can average pay have fallen unless companies were reducing their rates of pay. Perhaps the hours worked has changed or those at the top have reduced income.

Edited by El Cid

10 minutes ago, El Cid said:
  • The wholesaling, retailing, hotels and restaurants sector saw the largest regular growth rate at 7.4%, followed by the finance and business services sector at 5.9%.

According to the ONS, in 2021 the average UK salary was £38,131 for a full-time role and £13,549 for a part-time role. This is a slight decrease from the average UK salary in 2020, which placed the average UK wage for a full-time role at £38,552 and part-time at £13,819.26 Oct 2022

I should have said what's the average salary 'up North' or in Sheffield.

The minimum wage works out at about £17K- £18K, and judging by the number of huge distribution centres being built in Sheffield I would think a lot of people work in them, or as van drivers etc. I don't think I know many people on £38K, (but of course I would never ask.) So a big gap there.

It also makes care workers and nurses look underpaid don't you think?

Edited by Anna B