Strike Action

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

My wife is one of 8 children.

Did your wife’s mother have to pay to have them brought into the world , I say thank god for NHS in 1946 brought in by labour , We should really look after their staff ,  As far as I can see     the only thing we can look forward to is more things going private with this government , Also more unrest  with the working class ,  The government will have to think tactics  very carefully in the next few months ,  any bets 

6 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Did your wife’s mother have to pay to have them brought into the world , I say thank god for NHS in 1946 brought in by labour , We should really look after their staff ,  As far as I can see     the only thing we can look forward to is more things going private with this government , Also more unrest  with the working class ,  The government will have to think tactics  very carefully in the next few months ,  any bets 

Do you agree with nurses and doctors leaving the NHS and coming back as agency staff on higher pay and costing the NHS extra ?

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Labour will get into power, but they won't make everything super duper, not to start with.

After 12 years of the Tories incompetence they have too big a mess to clear up.

But I guarantee that within weeks the Conservatives will be shouting from the rooftops that it's all Labour's fault and that they are useless because they haven't made everything hunky dory....

All I want to hear from Labour is a costed realistic comprehensive plan to improve the NHS with an achievable time scale to do it in.

Not how much money they will throw at it.

Such a plan would surely be a vote winner.

Edited by harvey19

29 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Do you agree with nurses and doctors leaving the NHS and coming back as agency staff on higher pay ?

All I want to hear from Labour is a costed realistic comprehensive plan to improve the NHS with an achievable time scale to do it in.

Jeremy Corbyn had EXACTLY that. But as soon as the Tories realised what a threat he was, he was systematically  rubbished, victimised, and ridiculed to the point of extinction.  Ask any Labour supporter why they didn't vote for him and they NEVER mention his policies, it's always some malign trivia that they quote almost word for word, dreamed up by the tory press office aided and abetted by the Tory owned media. 

This wouldn't matter all things being equal but the Tories are well practised experts in the art of manipulating  the public with media friendly soundbites (we were voting for an 'oven ready Brexit' if you remember,) Unfortunately Labour are not very good at playing games, and tend to play with a straight bat.

Put an honest man up against a scoundrel with no conscience or integrity, and Labour will always be playing with one arm tied behind their back. But rather than fight fire with fire I want all our politicians to be honest, which means it's the Tories who have to clean up their act. 

Never mind the parties and the croneyism etc. IMO Boris should have gone to jail for the lies he told in his Brexit Campaign. The damage that man and his cohorts have done to this country is immeasurable. 

If you cannot believe a word that comes out of a Politician's mouth, how are we supposed to know how to vote?

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Do you agree with nurses and doctors leaving the NHS and coming back as agency staff on higher pay and costing the NHS extra ?

I agree with anything that helps nurses get better pay.

I don’t know whether agency nurses do get paid any more though. That bit is for the agency to decide. The cost to the NHS is more because the agencies charge a large fee. 

I’d prefer the money to go direct to nurses in better salaries, rather than pay agency fees.

37 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I remember when you heard that Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-budget was good.

Time you started thinking for yourself lad, instead of hearing things.

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Jeremy Corbyn had EXACTLY that. But as soon as the Tories realised what a threat he was, he was systematically  rubbished, victimised, and ridiculed to the point of extinction.  Ask any Labour supporter why they didn't vote for him and they NEVER mention his policies, it's always some malign trivia that they quote almost word for word, dreamed up by the tory press office aided and abetted by the Tory owned media. 

This wouldn't matter all things being equal but the Tories are well practised experts in the art of manipulating  the public with media friendly soundbites (we were voting for an 'oven ready Brexit' if you remember,) Unfortunately Labour are not very good at playing games, and tend to play with a straight bat.

Put an honest man up against a scoundrel with no conscience or integrity, and Labour will always be playing with one arm tied behind their back. But rather than fight fire with fire I want all our politicians to be honest, which means it's the Tories who have to clean up their act. 

Never mind the parties and the croneyism etc. IMO Boris should have gone to jail for the lies he told in his Brexit Campaign. The damage that man and his cohorts have done to this country is immeasurable. 

If you cannot believe a word that comes out of a Politician's mouth, how are we supposed to know how to vote?

To continue your post. Whilst the nurses are striking over pay and conditions all we hear about is the pay issue. I am waiting to hear the government's plans to improve the conditions and comprehensively examine the NHS and act on the changes deemed necessary.   They will eventually say they will invest more money into the NHS but money alone is not the answer.

15 minutes ago, sibon said:

I agree with anything that helps nurses get better pay.

I don’t know whether agency nurses do get paid any more though. That bit is for the agency to decide. The cost to the NHS is more because the agencies charge a large fee. 

I’d prefer the money to go direct to nurses in better salaries, rather than pay agency fees.

Agency nurses get paid a little more, but cause problems because they aren't as much part of the team, both in terms of pay, and of understanding the patients needs, (I'm not saying they aren't very good nurses.) And that causes a bit of friction. 

But what I want to know is why Agencies can charge the NHS (us taxpayers actually) more than double the hourly rate for an agency nurse? What do they actually do for the extra money? It's like all the other privatised, outsourced agencies that the NHS have to use, there is no real competition, they see the NHS as a cash cow and an opportunity ripe for a rip off.

Their answer to my question is really simple - "Why...?  It's because we can."

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Agency nurses get paid a little more, but cause problems because they aren't as much part of the team, both in terms of pay, and of understanding the patients needs, (I'm not saying they aren't very good nurses.) And that causes a bit of friction. 

But what I want to know is why Agencies can charge the NHS (us taxpayers actually) more than double the hourly rate for an agency nurse? What do they actually do for the extra money? It's like all the other privatised, outsourced agencies that the NHS have to use, there is no real competition, they see the NHS as a cash cow and an opportunity ripe for a rip off.

Their answer to my question is really simple - "Why...?  It's because we can."

Exactly if the only solution is to throw more money at the organisation it may just be spent on expensive agency workers to boost numbers.

One point in the use of such workers is that they do not get NHS pensions.

12 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

To continue your post. Whilst the nurses are striking over pay and conditions all we hear about is the pay issue. I am waiting to hear the government's plans to improve the conditions and comprehensively examine the NHS and act on the changes deemed necessary.   They will eventually say they will invest more money into the NHS but money alone is not the answer.

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Exactly if the only solution is to throw more money at the organisation it may just be spent on expensive agency workers to boost numbers.

One point in the use of such workers is that they do not get NHS pensions.

On the radio there was a discussion about getting more people economically active, because after the pandemic the rise in the numbers of the 'economically inactive' has grown massively. 

I think that many NHS workers who have retired are prepared to go back into the NHS, however for that to happen the tax rules need to change.

I do agree that there needs to be a look at how the NHS can save money. The ideas I've heard are looking at the NHS purchasing system, where there NHS can be ripped off. Centralising back office functions. Looking at what it contracts out, and to whom. There have been some scandalous cases where the government are paying way over the odds for what could be provided in house. Also look at preventative health rather than just waiting for people to get sick then treat them. Many fewer people are smoking nowadays, and that's good because in the future there will be less diseases associated with smoking for the NHS to treat.

However, with an aging population, people are going to get more sick and require more health care. Integrating Health and Social Care is something that's been mooted, and I think that's a positive step.

Edited by Mister M