Strike Action

1 hour ago, sibon said:

If you spent less time trolling and more time paying attention, you would have noticed that Labour have published a ten year plan for the NHS. It took the Tories a decade to destroy it. It’s going to take just as long to fix it.

They’ve produce a handy summary for people with limited attention spans. 

Here it is:   

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-to-deliver-10-year-plan-for-change-and-modernisation-of-the-nhs/

How simple, and aimed at "folks with a limited attention span".

A "10 year plan", would necessitate a 10 year term of office for Labor, in order to carry it out! How convenient!  :)

They would need a dramatic level of success in the first 4 years, in  the NHS, as well as in other domestic and foreign policy, to ensure the subsequent electoral victories required to carry it to completion.

That's a huge leap of faith! Pie in the sky stuff that a lot of them will not be around to celebrate, or more likely excuse, and blame.

You'd just have to trust them, I guess!  :)

Best to have them produce a "4 year plan" so that they can be held accountable if it all goes pear shaped?

Politician's plans and "promises", and their endless spending and taxation, should be limited to their elective term of office.

It's the only way to get a little accountability from the charlatans!  :)

Edited by trastrick

Just now, trastrick said:

A "10 year plan", would necessitate a 10 year term of office for Labor, in order to carry it out! How convenient!  :)

They would need a dramatic level of success in the first 4 years, in  the NHS, as well as in other domestic and foreign policy, to ensure the subsequent electoral victories required to carry it to completion.

That's a huge leap of faith! Pie in the sky stuff that a lot of them will not be around to celebrate, or more likely excuse, and blame.

Best to have them produce a "4 year plan" so that they can be held accountable if it all goes pear shaped?

Politician's plans and "promises", should be limited to their elective term of office.

That’s all well and good, but your objection has a minor flaw. It takes five or six years to

train a doctor. And it will take several

cohorts of trainees to get staffing levels to where they need to be.

In my opinion, energy, health and education policy should be set for the long term, on a cross party basis. Not a chance of our entrenched politicians even considering doing that.

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Politician's plans and "promises", should be limited to their elective term of office.

That is why I have said the reforms need to be completed in a realistic time scale .

The minister(S) responsible need to be made accountable for fulfilling manifesto PROMISES which have to be achievable.

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, Padders said:

Many years ago workers used to go on strike, full stop.

Not anymore,

One or two days is what happens now, this just prolongs the dispute..

I'm in favour of striking, if you want better conditions then down tools indefinitely, better chance of a settlement that way..

These present disputes will drag on and on.

What do you think would happen if nurses did that?

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, Padders said:

It would be settled within hours.

The tories and media would blame the nurses for the subsequent deaths.  Support would be lost.

Edited by makapaka

39 minutes ago, sibon said:

That’s all well and good, but your objection has a minor flaw. It takes five or six years to

train a doctor. And it will take several

cohorts of trainees to get staffing levels to where they need to be.

In my opinion, energy, health and education policy should be set for the long term, on a cross party basis. Not a chance of our entrenched politicians even considering doing that.

That's democracy for you!

Maybe a Third Party?

Watch for the fun, when somebody mentions, a little "privatization", and they inevitably will!  :)

Edited by trastrick

44 minutes ago, Axe said:

The miners never went on strike for one day at a time. I would have more respect for the strikers if they went on strike full stop until the disputes were ended. The Unions are behaving like terrorists with these one or two days strikes which is why the government need to make law changes to end these attempts to hold the country to ransom.

Who cares whether they have your respect.

The unions are more sensible nowadays which is what is annoying you and this useless government so they are doing it exactly right.

I won't answer the terrorist bit as that's too stupid to answer.

The government can change all the laws they like and you still cannot force people to work unless you want to stick a gun in their backs and we know how long the government would last then.

You are on the losing minority so why not give it up as a bad job which was tackled in the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Changing the NHS is easier said than do.  There is too much wastage and too many managers and consultants being paid vast sums for doing very little.  It will take years for any government to make the reforms needed to make the NHS efficient . Just throwing more money into the NHS won't change anything. One thing the current government could do is outlaw strikes for NHS workers and other sectors such as the railways.

With RPI at 14%, giving the nurses a 4% pay rise will mean 10% of the money to go to other areas. The trouble is, I believe most of the costs involved in running the NHS goes on staff?