Strike Action

4 hours ago, dsweetman said:

Do Not Tell Me that I dont know what I am talking about!!!!!!!!I am 80 years old,lived and worked in Sheffield and saw the damage that the union leaders have caused!Sheffield is no longer a player in the steel industry,the local mines are all closed down etc.In my view........the root cause of the demise of Sheffield and all local area industry is due to the unions!!!A fat cat is a person who becomes rich through devious ways (ie)become a trouble making union leader and bring the government of the day (unless it,s labour of course) down

I think you'll find it was Margaret Thatcher that destroyed the mining and steelmaking Industries, and the Unions that tried against all the odds to save them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think you'll find it was Margaret Thatcher that destroyed the mining and steelmaking Industries, and the Unions that tried against all the odds to save them. 

Wasting your breath Anna.

I've been a trade union member all my life and still am (unite)

We would be in a sorry state without them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Isn't gas cheaper than coal, maybe that was the reason, but the media fed us this anti union story?

Thatcher declared political war on the Labour Party and it’s supporters, taking the trade unions and their members in it’s wake, thus destroying British industry. What has always amazed me is that pre-Thatcher politicians of al flavours had much to thank British industry for,  victory in two World Wars comes to mind.

I blame the Tory rank and file for falling for Thatcher, she led a one member government against the weakest Labour opposition ever, it makes one wonder what might have happened in the Falklands War if the Argentine armed forces had the same tenacity as it’s football team.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Thatcher declared political war on the Labour Party and it’s supporters, taking the trade unions and their members in it’s wake, thus destroying British industry. What has always amazed me is that pre-Thatcher politicians of al flavours had much to thank British industry for,  victory in two World Wars comes to mind.

I blame the Tory rank and file for falling for Thatcher, she led a one member government against the weakest Labour opposition ever, it makes one wonder what might have happened in the Falklands War if the Argentine armed forces had the same tenacity as it’s football team.

The miners brought down a democratically elected conservative government by holding the country to ransom, the way that should have been done was via the ballot box.

47 minutes ago, spilldig said:

The miners brought down a democratically elected conservative government by holding the country to ransom, the way that should have been done was via the ballot box.

When did this happen and whose  government was it?

You version of history seems to vary from the one  I lived through.

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

Isn't gas cheaper than coal, maybe that was the reason, but the media fed us this anti union story?

It was nothing to do with Gas.  I mixed with miners in the local Miners Club and knew many of them well.

Thatcher was determined to smash the miners and did so.

Are you another one who believes everything the media says?

Without the unions, you would have still been working a 60 hour week, with one weeks holiday a year and fewer bank Holidays than you get now.

Whatever the media tells you, do you think all our employers would have  improved our conditions off their own bat?

Thatcher believed in shutting down our pits and factories and buying foreign goods instead so that the British workman had no power.

That is why we are now dependant on countries like China & Russia who we regard very much as our enemies.

That was a brilliant bit of thinking wasn't it?

Despite everything,  the ordinary people still have the power to decide  and can still remove a government if they get too arrogant and they are close to the tipping point now.

Edited by Organgrinder

23 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

When did this happen and whose  government was it?

You version of history seems to vary from the one  I lived through.

It was nothing to do with Gas.  I mixed with miners in the local Miners Club and knew many of them well.

Thatcher was determined to smash the miners and did so.

Are you another one who believes everything the media says?

Without the unions, you would have still been working a 60 hour week, with one weeks holiday a year and fewer bank Holidays than you get now.

Whatever the media tells you, do you think all our employers would have  improved our conditions off their own bat?

Thatcher believed in shutting down our pits and factories and buying foreign goods instead so that the British workman had no power.

That is why we are now dependant on countries like China & Russia who we regard very much as our enemies.

That was a brilliant bit of thinking wasn't it?

Despite everything,  the ordinary people still have the power to decide  and can still remove a government if they get too arrogant and they are close to the tipping point now.

You have put that bang on , as far as I am concerned every thing you have put is right , People who did well when she was in power will see it in a different light, But for me she ruined our biggest industries  , and millions off peoples lives , And yes the ordinary working man really needs the unions  We do not want to go back to the 20s and 30s  

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

The miners did bring down the Mr Heath government which is why Mrs Thatcher was determined the miners union or any other union wouldn't bring down her government  History has repeated it self and the unions are trying to hold the country to ransom again.  Future governments will learn from what is happening now and bring in legislation to prevent the unions from being an enemy of the state in the future.