Strike Action

1 hour ago, Axe said:

The miners did bring down the Mr Heath government which is why Mrs Thatcher was determined the miners union or any other union wouldn't bring down her government  History has repeated it self and the unions are trying to hold the country to ransom again.  Future governments will learn from what is happening now and bring in legislation to prevent the unions from being an enemy of the state in the future.

Pure Daily Mail rhetoric. Though the next time you want any medical procedure, or indeed any of the public services that Mel listed in his opening post, then I suggest you go and visit one of the right wing tabloid journalists for assistance. They'd be happy to help, they know everything.

Unions are made up of millions of working people who are entitled to associate with one another and use collective action to fight for their rights, and the services they work in.

We have some of the most restrictive anti trade union legislation in the world. Even Tory government ministers have said that unions have every right to exist.

Very little is working in this country. That is not down to the unions, or their members who work in these services and industries, but everything to do with your incompetent and venal Government.

Edited by Mister M

I'm 64 and I remember the years after the 2nd World War and the mess this country was in, but that was due to a world war

This country is in a mess, but it feels like a self inflicted mess 

I don't think strikes will work, as the strikes are only hurting the working class

34 minutes ago, rogets said:

I'm 64 and I remember the years after the 2nd World War and the mess this country was in, but that was due to a world war

This country is in a mess, but it feels like a self inflicted mess 

I don't think strikes will work, as the strikes are only hurting the working class

Have you thought about changing you username to Dr Emmett Brown?

I worked in Mexborough for a time in the 70’s and have never since met any set of folk as downright pig ignorant as the miners. I didn’t realise how much anyone who wasn’t a miner and originated from Sheffield was hated by them. I ended up calling out a couple who had referred to me as a Sheffield *******, they started laughing and one asked me if I knew how tough miners were, I said “‘no that’s what I’m looking to find out”, they soon came over all nice and friendly, bloody cowards.

Edited by crookesey

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

When did this happen and whose  government was it?

You version of history seems to vary from the one  I lived through.

It was nothing to do with Gas.  I mixed with miners in the local Miners Club and knew many of them well.

Thatcher was determined to smash the miners and did so.

Are you another one who believes everything the media says?

Without the unions, you would have still been working a 60 hour week, with one weeks holiday a year and fewer bank Holidays than you get now.

Whatever the media tells you, do you think all our employers would have  improved our conditions off their own bat?

Thatcher believed in shutting down our pits and factories and buying foreign goods instead so that the British workman had no power.

That is why we are now dependant on countries like China & Russia who we regard very much as our enemies.

That was a brilliant bit of thinking wasn't it?

Despite everything,  the ordinary people still have the power to decide  and can still remove a government if they get too arrogant and they are close to the tipping point now.

Churchill tried to smash the miners years before that ****ehole of a human being Thatcher , He failed she won now we are struggling for energy and importing coal from Russia and Australia . Global warming my arsssse

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I worked in Mexborough for a time in the 70’s and have never since met any set of folk as downright pig ignorant as the miners. I didn’t realise how much anyone who wasn’t a miner and originated from Sheffield was hated by them. I ended up calling out a couple who had referred to me as a Sheffield *******, they started laughing and one asked me if I knew how tough miners were, I sad “‘no that’s what I’m looking to find out”, they soon came over all nice and friendly, bloody cowards.

Mexborough  men seem to hate every one , I was once in that pub near top roundabout when a group of  Indian looking blokes wearing turbines walked in , All hell broke loose as the local boneheads started racial abuse , The fight was a classic ,the pub was wrecked and some of those so called hard men needed hospital treatment .

• Haha 2

As to the miners strike I saw family's wrecked due to. the situation , I lived in Stainforth and Creswell , Brothers no  longer talk to fathers and other family members due to who worked and who came out on strike .

I saw fights in working mens clubs when things turned violent , That Government  was was evil at that time .

The villages mentioned are still counting the cost .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fools said:

who wants to work down a mine

Plenty, according to the local Tory MP who represents Whitehaven.

10 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Mexborough  men seem to hate every one , I was once in that pub near top roundabout when a group of  Indian looking blokes wearing turbines walked in , All hell broke loose as the local boneheads started racial abuse , The fight was a classic ,the pub was wrecked and some of those so called hard men needed hospital treatment .

Maybe those Mexborough miners were in fact psychics; and had the uncanny ability to see into a future where the country depended on turbines rather than coal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1