Strike Action

51 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I worked in Mexborough for a time in the 70’s and have never since met any set of folk as downright pig ignorant as the miners. I didn’t realise how much anyone who wasn’t a miner and originated from Sheffield was hated by them. I ended up calling out a couple who had referred to me as a Sheffield *******, they started laughing and one asked me if I knew how tough miners were, I said “‘no that’s what I’m looking to find out”, they soon came over all nice and friendly, bloody cowards.

I knew most off the hard cases  in Sheffield , never heard off you , but I will ask around .  Knew  Ronnie Crooks ,

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slinny said:

I knew most off the hard cases  in Sheffield , never heard off you , but I will ask around .  Knew  Ronnie Crooks ,

Ask all you like, I was ‘Our Kid” to Ronnie Crookes (note the ‘E’) but no relation, you didn’t have to be ‘hard’ not to be a coward.

1 hour ago, fools said:

who wants to work down a mine

Typical stupid question from you.

Why do you think that because you don't like something, everyone else feels the same.

30 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Ask all you like, I was ‘Our Kid” to Ronnie Crookes (note the ‘E’) but no relation, you didn’t have to be ‘hard’ not to be a coward.

Never been a fighter , met plenty off bully’s mostly hangers on to fighters , Just thought I may have come across you in town ,  no offence  was meant . All our yesterdays 

3 hours ago, Axe said:

The miners did bring down the Mr Heath government which is why Mrs Thatcher was determined the miners union or any other union wouldn't bring down her government  History has repeated it self and the unions are trying to hold the country to ransom again.  Future governments will learn from what is happening now and bring in legislation to prevent the unions from being an enemy of the state in the future.

The miners did NOT bring down Heath's government.

There were strikes occurring at that time but nobody was attempting to bring down the government.

Edward Heath did the same as Theresa May and went to the country early in an attempt to get a bigger majority, and it didn't work.

He could have carried on until the end of his term because he did have a majority but, he thought the public were on his side and he wanted a bigger one.

He finished up with less seats instead, tried to do a deal with Jeremy Thorpe of the Libs whose demands were too high for Heath so he resigned.

I will repeat that no British government will succeed in bringing legislation  to stop strikes.

No working man can be forced to go to work by law or other means.

As for enemy of the state, our governments do more to damage this country than the unions do..

It's fine for you to hate the unions if you wish but, the government are the ones who have done the damage and you don't know what you are talking about anyway.

Just now, harvey19 said:

The miners I spoke to said they did not want their son to go down the pit.

As usual, you have proved nothing  and  I'm sure you didn't speak to that many miners anyway.

There are many men from all kinds of trades who never wanted their sons to follow the same trade as them and I was one  of them.

There were still plenty who did want to carry on their jobs until retirement and there still are men today wanting to work in the new pit the government are wanting to open.

Don't know why you always want to pick a new argument but, if it makes you happy.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

As usual, you have proved nothing  and  I'm sure you didn't speak to that many miners anyway.

There are many men from all kinds of trades who never wanted their sons to follow the same trade as them and I was one  of them.

There were still plenty who did want to carry on their jobs until retirement and there still are men today wanting to work in the new pit the government are wanting to open.

Don't know why you always want to pick a new argument but, if it makes you happy.

I am not picking an argument, just stating a fact.

If I wanted to pick an argument I would raise the Saltley gates incident in 1972 which hardened the governments attitude towards the unions.

8 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Never been a fighter , met plenty off bully’s mostly hangers on to fighters , Just thought I may have come across you in town ,  no offence  was meant . All our yesterdays 

None taken, as for ‘town’ I went to most places, pubs, disco’s, nightclubs etc, I was very much a barfly. I’m age 75, most of my friends have died, I don’t class the late hard men amongst them.