Strike Action

52 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Serious questions need to be asked of those whose duty it is to plan for the future and how money has been spent.

Insufficient doctors, nurses and ambulance staff being trained,  Working hours and practices of some GPs. Use or lack of use of facilities on a weekend.

It seems to me that short term measures like using immigrant and agency staff who have kept the service going  for several years now instead of getting a grip of the situation.

For years we have heard the government say they would sort out social care but we are still waiting.

The usual cry of lack of funding is not the only cause of the problems, maybe the management should be held to account also

The government still refuses to increase the number of training places for medical students. It's like they want it all to fall apart as an excuse to privatise it, for the benefit of them and their chums.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

The government still refuses to increase the number of training places for medical students. It's like they want it all to fall apart as an excuse to privatise it, for the benefit of them and their chums.

Isn't that down to the fact that there were far more applicants this year?  No different to any other college or uni that is oversubscribed?

The 791 is the largest number of applicants on record that the UKFPO has not placed by this stage of the year. In 2017 only 25 graduates were in that position, though that number has risen sharply in recent years and by last year had risen to 494.

HEE has blamed the situation on a record number of applicants and promised “pastoral support” to medical graduates on the reserve list, many of whom are anxious about their futures.

“There have been record numbers of applicants for the 2022 foundation programme. Although the statutory medical education bodies have increased the number of foundation posts available, we recognise that 791 students have been placed on the reserve list,” said Prof Liz Hughes, HEE’s deputy medical director.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/15/791-medical-graduates-could-miss-out-on-nhs-junior-doctor-training

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

I find it annoying that other countries can train enough medical students to allow their graduates to come to this country to work and still fill their own staffing needs when we can not train enough to fill vacancies in our own country.

We have accepted this situation for a long time now along with agency staff but the current unrest may cause a rethink.

35 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I find it annoying that other countries can train enough medical students to allow their graduates to come to this country to work and still fill their own staffing needs when we can not train enough to fill vacancies in our own country.

Other countries aren't filling their staffing needs or training enough staff either and the shortages of medical staff and doctors is not just a UK thing but European wide. France and German are also facing big problems with shortages and you would think that with their healthcare systems they would be better placed to recruit more.

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-doctors-europe-too-far-too-old-too-few/

https://socialeurope.eu/health-and-social-care-staff-shortages-critical

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Other countries aren't filling their staffing needs or training enough staff either and the shortages of medical staff and doctors is not just a UK thing but European wide. France and German are also facing big problems with shortages and you would think that with their healthcare systems they would be better placed to recruit more.

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-doctors-europe-too-far-too-old-too-few/

https://socialeurope.eu/health-and-social-care-staff-shortages-critical

Interesting.

So very basically is it lack of future planning for the size  and needs of future generations ?

6 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Interesting.

So very basically is it lack of future planning for the size  and needs of future generations ?

It certainly seems that way although the Covid panic has also made a dent. Many of the doctors we seem to rely on are now elderly and retiring early and IIRC in the UK it is happening a lot because they are facing higher taxes on their pensions.

This is not the article I had originally read but is still stating basically the same.

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/pension-tax-driving-half-doctors-retire-early

9 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

It certainly seems that way although the Covid panic has also made a dent. Many of the doctors we seem to rely on are now elderly and retiring early and IIRC in the UK it is happening a lot because they are facing higher taxes on their pensions.

This is not the article I had originally read but is still stating basically the same.

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/pension-tax-driving-half-doctors-retire-early

Unfortunately higher salaries/pensions attract greater tax.

With an increasing longer living population we need extra staffing and equipment resources.

But then I think back to the periods after the 2 world wars when there were many severely physically and mentally wounded ex servicemen who needed hospital and out patient care.

Was the number of doctors, nursing staff etc. reduced as this responsibility reduced ?

Regarding my above post I now think many of the war wounded will have been in BMHs which have now gone and probably looked after by RAMC doctors and QARANC nurses.

These hospitals and staff were government funded so when the hospitals were closed and medical services reduced was the money transferred to the NHS ?

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Regarding my above post I now think many of the war wounded will have been in BMHs which have now gone and probably looked after by RAMC doctors and QARANC nurses.

These hospitals and staff were government funded so when the hospitals were closed and medical services reduced was the money transferred to the NHS ?

Look at upside down inside out or what ever , no one should have to supplement their wages , do you think anyone on front bench need to do that , example  Sunak , £475,000,000 poor fellow , I don’t know how he can manages , without his wife’s help 

• Haha 1