Uk's First Deep Coal Mine In 30 Years Given Green Light By Michael Gove

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Years ago when the mine was first proposed, the local Labour controlled council was unanimous in supporting it.

As for miners, not all UK mines are closed. 

I'm sure they were, my point was simply about the fact that although there are coal deposits in the south east the people in the south east prefer that the impact on the countryside and any associated disruption takes place in other parts of the country. The link I provided clearly expressed that NIMBY viewpoint .

As for current mines in the UK, most are open cast and only four deep coal mines still operate afaik. 

Closing mines because we could buy coal cheaper from Poland and other places abroad was always a short term ill conceived plan aimed at benefiting the party in power with little consideration for the long term consequence.

Coal could be obtained cheaper from abroad right up to the time we no longer had the means of producing our own. At which point coal becomes more expensive.

Simple supply and demand rules. As usual our governments - of whatever party - care more about the next election than the countrys future.

By the time the chickens come home to roost they'll be retired or in the House of Lords. it'll be someone elses problem and they will approach it in the same way. And here we are ☹️

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

Secondly, since coal mining was basically done away with in this country where do we get the miners from?

Although this seems to be classed as a deep mine the planning and mockup pictures of it are for a drift mine as there is no winding gear in sight and the coal sits at around 350m. Given that it probably won't need a great many miners to operate it otherwise it would not be very cost effective.

3 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Although this seems to be classed as a deep mine the planning and mockup pictures of it are for a drift mine as there is no winding gear in sight and the coal sits at around 350m. Given that it probably won't need a great many miners to operate it otherwise it would not be very cost effective.

Fair enough.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Dennis wouldn’t plug it in  😃

The daft ha'porth,   we all know what water and electricity does.  He could have done us all a favour.

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

An even better decision would be if Michael Gove, Suella Braverman, and the other incompetents got off their arses, onto their hands and knees and dug the coal themselves.

At least that way, they won't be in the HoC, ******* the country off.

David Miliband today: "this mine is wrong for our country. We should be focusing on the future; jobs in green industries."

David Miliband 2015:

FjdHmSwXoAAyYOe?format=jpg&name=small

Also Miliband:

Ed Miliband slams Government over 'devastating' sudden closure of Hatfield Colliery after 99 years

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed-miliband-slams-government-over-5978358