Frozen But Fresh Turkeys ?

53 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the fact is if you buy one of these FRESH TURKEYS  and dont realise they have been frozen once and say all of a sudden something changes you think fresh turkey thats okay to re freeze,but as its already been frozen it could make you ill ,would it not?

For god sake man, do you read any of the replies whatsoever?

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 08/12/2022 at 11:55, bassett one said:

reading the sun paper yesterday the goverment has decided due to bird flu to allow turkeys to be frozen then put on display as fresh nearer the date for retail,is this safe? what happens if a older person ect thinks there nice i will buy 2  and freeze one for easter in case theres a shortage? do they last as long once frozen,then thawed to eat?   not sure many questions but what are the answers? i am sure our forum folk will tell us wont they?

I wouldn't worry about frozen poultry.  Any frozen poultry you buy at this time of year could have been slaughtered years ago.  Its just the sheer numbers involved.  If you notice, this year about half a million birds have had to be killed due to avian flu  & destroyed but nobody has said there's a shortage.  There's still plenty to go round as there's a surplus number already in deep freeze. 

A friend of mine used to work in the slaughter business & once told me many years ago, that the turkey I was eating could have been killed up to 5 years before but the average maximum duration of mostong term frozen meat is around 2 years. In extreme deep freeze, meat will stay perfectly edible for much longer. 

Although you'd never get retailers to publicise that the bird sat in their freezer waiting for you to buy for this Xmas Day was actually killed back in 2019.  And don't forget turkey is eaten all year round. 

Turkeys aren't just for Christmas.  They're also available as slices throughout the year. 

Edited by Baron99

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the bit that worrys me is its frozen then thawed to sell as if its fresh and then someone thinks its okay to re-freeze

You've not mentioned that before, have you not

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bassett one said:

all i am saying i do not think frozen turkeys should be sold as fresh,no matter what sunak and his goverment say and if other think its okay thats fine until someone re-freezes  what they think is a fresh turkey  and then ends up dead,

And yet again, if people dont read the packaging its their own bloody fault!

58 minutes ago, bassett one said:

all i am saying i do not think frozen turkeys should be sold as fresh,no matter what sunak and his goverment say and if other think its okay thats fine until someone re-freezes  what they think is a fresh turkey  and then ends up dead,

Here's a couple of bits of advice:

1 don't buy one

2 let other people make their own minds up

• Haha 1