When Are Old People Put Into Care?

15 hours ago, dan_999uk said:

People can be subject to care arrangements if they've been assessed under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and lack capacity, and it's in their best interests to receive 24/7 care, for instance if they would be at risk at home, and if there's no less restrictive option. You can read about the assessment process here

Thanks for that. Like Petemcewan, being put into care against my will scares me to death. I have no wish to go into care under any circumstances.

Of course 'in their best interests' is subjective and opens up a whole can of worms. 'Lack of capacity' is also dubious. By saying they don't want to go into care when it's 'in their best interests' can be interpreted as lack of capacity to make their own decision. But why prolong life if it is reduced to dribbling in a corner of some care home? 

A relative of mine went into a care home because it was said she was at risk of falling at home. (She'd never actually fallen.) Within a couple of months of being in the very expensive care home which delivered very little in the way of care, she had a fall trying to get to the toilet, broke her shoulder, which was not treated (except with pain killers,) and left to die alone, delirious with pain, in a cot in her room. 

Dreadful.

Which is why I do not wish to prolong my life in a care home. And I think I should have every right to say that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thanks for that. Like Petemcewan, being put into care against my will scares me to death. I have no wish to go into care under any circumstances.

Of course 'in their best interests' is subjective and opens up a whole can of worms. 'Lack of capacity' is also dubious. By saying they don't want to go into care when it's 'in their best interests' can be interpreted as lack of capacity to make their own decision. But why prolong life if it is reduced to dribbling in a corner of some care home? 

A relative of mine went into a care home because it was said she was at risk of falling at home. (She'd never actually fallen.) Within a couple of months of being in the very expensive care home which delivered very little in the way of care, she had a fall trying to get to the toilet, broke her shoulder, which was not treated (except with pain killers,) and left to die alone, delirious with pain, in a cot in her room. 

Dreadful.

Which is why I do not wish to prolong my life in a care home. And I think I should have every right to say that.

A care home is a good place to put an old person, who's family can't, or won't, take care of her in her dotage.

Prevents the nice lady from next door who pops in daily to see if she's OK, from inheriting her worldly goods,, so the inlaws can argue about who gets what!  :)

10 minutes ago, trastrick said:

A care home is a good place to put an old person, who's family can't, or won't, take care of her in her dotage.

Prevents the nice lady from next door who pops in daily to see if she's OK, from inheriting her worldly goods,, so the inlaws can argue about who gets what!  :)

You little cynic you, when my wife’s late aunt’s vey posh live in bloke popped it relatives of his that she had never heard of came out of the woodwork. The thing was it was her who owned the property, the cars and the money, she just didn’t have the class, they were very annoyed. 😉

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

bang on

12 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

A serial killer loose . Some die very quickly in  those holmes 

I can see the point if they require round the clock medical attention.

But I'm in favor of voluntary euthanasia!

Edited by trastrick