Wolf-Whistling Facing Ban

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Right on cue while i was having mi tea an ad for this tv programme came on telly

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/undercover-sexual-harassment-the-truth

Undercover: Sexual Harassment -The Truth

Ellie Flynn goes undercover, exposing the harsh reality of sexual harassment against women and girls in Britain today, from 'dick pics' to being flashed, groped, spiked and raped

I've just read an article from her about that programme which concludes with her talking to others about their experiences of sexual harassment.   And this is where this post will come in handy as an aperitif:

5 hours ago, Hecate said:

No such thing.  Didn't you know that every woman's heart simply thrills to hear some bloke shout 'get yer tits out' as he drives past?  Bonus swoon points if you can remember walking home from school when that happened.

From the article:

Over half of schoolgirls have experienced public sexual harassment while wearing school uniform, including being groped, stared at, cat-called, followed or wolf-whistled. I met a group of schoolgirls to discuss their experiences and was shocked to learn that 15 of the 17 had experienced some form of sexual harassment.
One told me: “The one that stands out to me the most is the first time, which was when I was, like, ten. It was . . . a group of guys in a park. They said they wanted to have sex with me and I was just, like, I didn’t really even know what sex was.”
Another added: “I would take the bus to school. And when it was warm in the summer, a bus driver would ask us to take off our tights. He would say, ‘If you’re too warm, you can take off your tights. Take off your skirts for me.’ He would stand there and watch. And I never wore my school skirt again.”
Hearing these stories first-hand from children experiencing this behaviour for the first time was heartbreaking and reiterated how sexual harassment comes in many guises. There can be a tendency to define behaviours as less or more severe, but perhaps we’re better off recognising that this all exists as a continuum. That first comment shouted at you when you’re ten quickly becomes the panic of being followed as you try to make your way home. It all creates a sense of fear and unease that too many of us have become uncomfortably accustomed to.

As a proud father of a wonderful daughter, I "protected" her from all manner of life's iniquities while she was growing up.

(in the old day's we called it "street proofing",)

As a woman she now  has the ability to deal with society's challenges, She does not see herself as a "victim".

Not recommended for most people today's society , who may see it as "profiling", and "discriminating" in her life's choices!

By the way I never "wolf whistled", in fact never learned the art of whistling.

I used more subtle methods to find a partner!

Edited by trastrick

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Hmm, the picture of Sid the Sexist I posted yesterday has mysteriously vanished.

Someone been reporting posts inbetween leering at the women from his ladder?

I think someone has reported posts where the swear filter has kicked in.  Though of course the swear filter, where the use of **** protects delicate sensibilities from the distress of seeing some words on the screen, is there to prevent posts from having to be removed and hence potentially spoil the flow of the discussion. 

Different from attempts to get around the swear filter (something that I know you wouldn't do!) which has always resulted in reported posts being shunted off into the void.

Don't know why that particular Mr Sexist disappeared when there are so many others still scampering around on the thread.  Did you include the shocking use of asterisks in the post too?

41 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

... just man up".

I can't recall now if our friend included that instruction before or after I'd mentioned how men target girls for harassment, indicating of course that a large  element of this abuse is about power rather than 'attraction' as some have tried to excuse it.  Though if some bloke on here wants to make a case defending the right of paedophiles to shout abuse at schoolchildren from their car windows, as they do for the right of men to shout obscenities at women, I'm sure that would make for an interesting discussion too.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

As a proud father of a wonderful daughter, I "protected" her from all manner of life's iniquities while she was growing up.

(in the old day's we called it "street proofing",)

As a woman she now  has the ability to deal with society's challenges, She does not see herself as a "victim".

Not recommended for most people today's society , who may see it as "profiling", and "discriminating" in her life's choices!

By the way I never "wolf whistled", in fact never learned the art of whistling.

I used more subtle methods to find a partner!

Imagine a world where it's not just about you and your experiences, and that other people's experiences and circumstances may affect their ability to deal with abuse.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cressida said:

Well it's all about opinions and experiences,  not heard of 'street proofing',  what does it entail?

Common sense advice, Setting a good example,  and not leaving your kids to be brought up and "educated" solely by the State, among other things  :)

Ever hear of "good parenting"?

But as the poster above says, " it's not just about you and your experiences". So I'll leave it that!

So we all get to hoe our own garden, as best we can.  :)