Wolf-Whistling Facing Ban

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Good to see they are wriggling away from the meme a wolf whistle is sexual harassment!

Now it's sexual harassment can "include" a wolf whistle.

A single wolf whistle isn’t sexual harassment.

I apparently needs to part of some other bad stuff, which we all agree IS sexual harassment and abuse!

That's why I'm never disappointed here!

So can we not all finally agree that legislation and enforcing a ban on a wolf whistle is not necessary?  :)

Can I invite you to re-read the thread. 

Then, you might want to edit your post.

No one is saying that a wolf whistle is grounds for arrest. The Daily Mail article in the original post makes just that point.

But somehow, a working definition needs to be found. One that allows the prosecution of people who harass by using a series of individually minor actions, that build up to something very serious. That’s how a lot of stalkers work.

Edited by sibon

22 minutes ago, Delayed said:

I've posted the legal definition not my opinion 

And nobody has a right to accept sexual harassment. You may not consider it to be Harassment but your opinion doesn't matter in the grand scheme

Or the right to accept it?

I was told a slap on the bum and "Fancy a currie?" worked wonders in a Harrogate pub!  :)

Surely such brutish behavior was never tolerated!

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

Or the right to accept it?

I was told a slap on the bum and "Fancy a currie?" worked wonders in a Harrogate pub!  :)

Times have changed. Society moves on. 

If this is too much for people, maybe they should move to countries that don't allow women to leave the house, work or learn to drive.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

Can I invite you to re-read the thread. 

Then, you might want to edit your post.

But all the necessary detail was in the Daily Mail headline!

18 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Jesus Christ man , right is right and wrong is wrong . 

Ever see a rock star or a famous footballer come in to his local pub?

It seems that the definition of offensive sexual behavior has a meter that can be adjusted up or down, depending on the social status of the perp!

Confusing to your average yobbo!  :)

25 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

In your opinion.

Nobody has  a right to never be upset.

You're apparently defending men's right to be a dick (as I'm sure most people will agree defines men who cause 'intentional harassment, alarm or distress' by making 'obscene or aggressive comments or gestures' to women), as is your right.

Not included is the right to avoid the potential consequences of being a dick, which is what this bill proposes.

13 minutes ago, sibon said:

What time is Love Thy Neighbour on?

Half past 1973.

18 minutes ago, trastrick said:

It seems that the definition of offensive sexual behavior has a meter that can be adjusted up or down, depending on the social status of the perp!

As others have highlighted...in 1973... maybe. :roll:

18 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Confusing to your average yobbo!  :)

Given your posts, it does not sound like just the average yobbo... unless you're confessing something? :thumbsup: :hihi:

49 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

behaviour characterized by the making of unwelcome and inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances in a workplace or other professional or social situation.

"Inappropriate" is not an objectively provable term and neither is "unwelcome". You could even say "sexual remarks" isn't either.

It is a minefield and it is getting worse all the time, like life, too much complication and BS

You are correct!

The terms "unwanted" and "unwelcome" are hazy concept on which to design legislation, and even harder for enforcement.

In any social settings the same behavior can manifest. e,g, Looking hot tonight, darling!

Depending on the current mood of the recipient, the exact same behavior can be seen as harassment, or admiration depending on who is making the statement!

Which means verbal sexual harassment is solely determined by the female, as wanted or unwanted.

Or, I'd like to take you home and give you a good roggering!

A concerned citizen calls the cops, who are set about by the "victim" in question. Don't you dare touch my Bert!

It's a legal minefield out there where millions of social interactions are taking place as we speak!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The terms "unwanted" and "unwelcome" are hazy concept on which to design legislation, and even harder for enforcement.

In any social settings the same behavior can manifest. e,g, Looking hot tonight, darling!

Depending on the current mood of the recipient, the exact same behavior can be seen as harassment, or admiration depending on who is making the statement!

Generally, the recipient will tell you whether your advances are wanted, or not.

Which means verbal sexual harassment is solely determined by the female, as wanted or unwanted.

The the recipient, in your example... as it should be! :roll:

Or, I'd like to take you home and give you a good roggering!

For the avoidance of doubt, since you appear to be confused...

...probably not the best opening gambit to a complete stranger in the street :thumbsup:

A concerned citizen calls the cops, who are set about by the "victim" in question. Don't you dare touch my Bert!

It's a legal minefield out there where millions of social interactions are taking place as we speak!

No... it really isn't... more a case of common sense... your excuses and laughable whataboutery notwithstanding.