Wolf-Whistling Facing Ban

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

... Depending on the current mood of the recipient, the exact same behavior can be seen as harassment, or admiration depending on who is making the statement!

Which means verbal sexual harassment is solely determined by the female, as wanted or unwanted. ...

This is just delightful, isn't it?  I mean all of it, really, but particularly this bit.  Any other of our fine male contributors want to put their hand up to not knowing when they're about to do a bit of public sexual harassing? 

I'd advise taking the ten minutes it took me to research the relevant provisions of the 1986 Public Order Act, and the amendment described in the bill that proposes the Protection from Sex-based Harassment in Public Act 2023 (the thing that the Daily Mail gleefully fluffed its readers into foaming about).  Seriously, you can zip through it before your coffee's gone cold.  You'll then be admirably fully informed about the subject under discussion, and a bit less likely to make a fool of yourself by writing crap like the unfortunate nonsense I quoted above.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, pattricia said:

What is the matter with our society now ? If someone whistled at you in the street, it didn’t matter, if someone groped you , you kicked them in the groin !

Dangerously close to agreeing with the forum's very own Sid the Sexist there Patty love, maybe tread carefully :)

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Dangerously close to agreeing with the forum's very own Sid the Sexist there Patty love, maybe tread carefully :)

She doesn’t spend her life living in fear, I’m very much the same. I’m age 75 and have had to cope with a couple of guys  in the past few years who thought me to be easy prey, I took my late grandfather’s advice, this being that a smack in the mouth often offends, well it worked for me.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

She doesn’t spend her life living in fear, I’m very much the same. I’m age 75 and have had to cope with a couple of guys  in the past few years who thought me to be easy prey, I took my late grandfather’s advice, this being that a smack in the mouth often offends, well it worked for me.

Wouldnt class that as sexual assault, mind. Unless they fancied you ;)

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

This is just delightful, isn't it?  I mean all of it, really, but particularly this bit.  Any other of our fine male contributors want to put their hand up to not knowing when they're about to do a bit of public sexual harassing? 

I'd advise taking the ten minutes it took me to research the relevant provisions of the 1986 Public Order Act, and the amendment described in the bill that proposes the Protection from Sex-based Harassment in Public Act 2023 (the thing that the Daily Mail gleefully fluffed its readers into foaming about).  Seriously, you can zip through it before your coffee's gone cold.  You'll then be admirably fully informed about the subject under discussion, and a bit less likely to make a fool of yourself by writing crap like the unfortunate nonsense I quoted above.

I'm not the one inferring that a poster opposing a ban on a wolf whistle, is compared to supporting a paedophile hurling god knows what abuse to a schoolchild, dearie.

You need to get out and meet some real people!  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

You are correct!

The terms "unwanted" and "unwelcome" are hazy concept on which to design legislation, and even harder for enforcement.

In any social settings the same behavior can manifest. e,g, Looking hot tonight, darling!

Depending on the current mood of the recipient, the exact same behavior can be seen as harassment, or admiration depending on who is making the statement!

Which means verbal sexual harassment is solely determined by the female, as wanted or unwanted.

Or, I'd like to take you home and give you a good roggering!

A concerned citizen calls the cops, who are set about by the "victim" in question. Don't you dare touch my Bert!

It's a legal minefield out there where millions of social interactions are taking place as we speak!

Bearing in mind we are not talking about physical assault here, I think it's a bit patronising on people, women in particular, to assume they are all so over sensitive and weak willed that they are unable to stick up for themselves.

I'll be honest, I am not really interested in sexual harassment, other than to say I think these days most of it is exaggerated because people are determined to be offended. I am a bit concerned about how it might affect my lad but I'll be dead before it gets too ridiculous. I predict that sooner or later people will be required by law to sign a declaration that sex is consensual or face prosecution by the state. It will happen, might be 25 years, maybe 50 but it will happen.

Edited by Chekhov