Wolf-Whistling Facing Ban

Guest makapaka
35 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's pathetic  and I am seriously worried where this society of ours will end up.

Fortunately I'll be dead before it inevitably ends up where literally everything is banned , unless specifically allowed. We'll all live longer, but much less interesting fun adventurous lives.

You really need to stop reading the daily mail mate.

59 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's pathetic  and I am seriously worried where this society of ours will end up.

Fortunately I'll be dead before it inevitably ends up where literally everything is banned , unless specifically allowed. We'll all live longer, but much less interesting fun adventurous lives.

Once again, this is the behaviour included under a potential 1986 Public Order Act section 4B - Intentional harassment, alarm or distress on account of sex:

- Deliberately walking closely behind someone as they walk home at night

- Making obscene or aggressive comments towards a person

- Making obscene or offensive gestures towards a person

- Obstructing a person's path

- Driving or riding a vehicle slowly near to a person making a journey

Is that your sort of fun and adventure?

🤡

On 09/12/2022 at 21:05, Hecate said:

You jest, but I have a crisp new tenner that says some manbaby on here will have a tantrum about not being able to treat random women to his hilarious bants.

Hey, @HeHasRisen!  Told you so.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, sibon said:

I can imagine that it was an unpleasant experience for you. 

You have my sympathy 

There absolutely should be laws on staring at people.

But, Codified clearly, so everybody knows the rules.

Say a 10 second limit in public places, with an exception for short sighted folks, children up to a certain age, or those showing societal disapproval towards a a smoker or non mask wearing folks during the first year of a pandemic, a queue cutter, or a  smart phone user holding a loud conversation, those trying to read a lengthy T shirt slogan,  or at a female bartender at a busy bar when trying to get a beer, or when a well known footballer gets on your bus.

So much to do, and so little time!  :)

Edited by trastrick

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I had a woman stare at me once. It was really awkward. I kept looking away, looking back, looking away then looking back. 

Every single time I looked at her she was just staring at me. It must have gone on for like ten minutes.  In the end I had absolutely no choice in doing what I did. 

Was it before you had your photo as your avatar?   

What did you do?   

Ask her 'have we met?'

Edited by cressida
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, cressida said:

Was it before you had your photo as your avatar?   

Here's a cheaper way to deal with unwanted stares, as taught in Heeley Bank school, circa 1948.

"I made you look

I made you stare

I made you cut the barber's hair

The barber's hair was full of dicks

I made you eat them, all but six!"

No need to get the bureacrats and the lawyers involved!

And when the school photographer came around once a year, all the poor parents who never owned a camera, always managed to scratch a few bob together to get a precious photo of "our lass",  to show who she took after, at that age.

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

There absolutely should be laws on staring at people.

But, Codified clearly, so everybody knows the rules.

Say a 10 second limit in public places, with an exception for short sighted folks, children up to a certain age, or those showing societal disapproval towards a a smoker or non mask wearing folks during the first year of a pandemic, a queue cutter, or a  smart phone user holding a loud conversation, those trying to read a lengthy T shirt slogan,  or at a female bartender at a busy bar when trying to get a beer, or when a well known footballer gets on your bus.

So much to do, and so little time!  :)

I think that the thing to do is to draft laws so that the lowlifes who stalk and intimidate others can be arrested and prosecuted.

It is clear from reading this thread that there are quite a few male contributors who don’t like having their behaviour challenged. I wouldn’t want to speculate on the reason for that.

The truth is that stalkers hide behind defences like “I was only looking”, “I was only walking down the street”,  “I was only standing there”. Because taken individually, those actions are trivial.

Once those actions become part of a pattern, they can be less than trivial to the victims. Imagine being followed by the same person, night after night. A person who has been standing outside your house for hours. And then imagine them defending themselves by saying “I was only walking down the road”.

I’m not sure that this law is the correct way to deal with the problem, but the intentions are good.

9 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think that the thing to do is to draft laws so that the lowlifes who stalk and intimidate others can be arrested and prosecuted.

It is clear from reading this thread that there are quite a few male contributors who don’t like having their behaviour challenged. I wouldn’t want to speculate on the reason for that.

Think some of them are clearly worried that they would be arrested for the sole act of walking 10m behind a woman down the street, it is quite clear to any sensible person (in short supply round these parts, clearly) that nobody would be arrested for that in isolation. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

41 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

... As for the rest, man up.

I usually take posts like this apart.  But then I looked at that ^^^ and had a ponder.  What does it take to make a bloke like that.  To read a thread about sexual harassment and write that in response.  Why the clown car seems to have parked itself and disgorged its load on here.

I had a few answers, and was going to write them all down, but then I thought that sad, pathetic, insignificant little pricks like our friends here are, fortunately, in the minority, even on here, and not worth even the two minutes it took me to write these two paragraphs.