National Anthem

This is not because of the football result as I have hated it for ever. It is the most uninspiring piece of rubbish ever written, perhaps it is apt at the coronation of a new monarch, and then should be placed back in it’s box until the next one. The French looked as if they were going to war as they blasted out La Marseillaise whilst the England players looked as though they were attending a funeral, Land Of Hope and Glory would be far better IMHO, albeit being aimed at the U.K. as a whole.

Edited by crookesey
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, crookesey said:

This is not because of the football result as I have hated it for ever. It is the most uninspiring piece of rubbish ever written, perhaps it is apt at the coronation of a new monarch, and then should be placed back in it’s box until the next one. The French looked as if they were going to war as they blasted out La Marseillaise whilst the England players looked as though they were attending a funeral, Land Of Hope and Glory would be far better IMHO, albeit being aimed at the U.K. as a whole.

I agree.

Our national anthem is a dreary dirge of homage to Royalty, rather than an inspiring, all- encompassing and rousing song of National pride.

It's embarrassing to watch footballers mumbling and stuttering over the words at the start of matches.

Maybe it should only be sung when the King is actually in attendance.

Meanwhile, for all other occasions, let's change it.  

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 3

Our National anthem is boring so I wouldn’t object To Land Of Hope And Glory to replace the old one.  It’s one of my favourite hymns.  At the moment we could do with a little bit of hope.

And as Anna says use the old one when the King is in attendance, 

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Our National anthem is boring so I wouldn’t object To Land Of Hope And Glory to replace the old one.  It’s one of my favourite hymns.  At the moment we could do with a little bit of hope.

And as Anna says use the old one when the King is in attendance, 

I agree, LoHaG is actually our 2nd National Anthem, composed by Edward Elgar as an orchestral piece, the words were added later.

The words of course were written at the time the British Empire was at its height and celebrates that, but it would have blown away the French effort!

10 minutes ago, carosio said:

I agree, LoHaG is actually our 2nd National Anthem, composed by Edward Elgar as an orchestral piece, the words were added later.

The words of course were written at the time the British Empire was at its height and celebrates that, but it would have blown away the French effort!

That was interesting I didn’t know that.  

It is OUR National Anthem.

Like it or not be proud fit.

As for footballers they should have to practice singing it as a part of their training.

If it was changed to Land of Hope and Glory can you imagine the criticism from some quarters of the Glory part.

Edited by harvey19
  • Like 1