National Anthem

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Someone should add some lyrics to that Benny Hill theme tune.

Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph (1963). It's actually a very clever piece of composition if you follow it closely, there's not many saxophone solos. Another one I like is Dr Kaplan's Office, a Spector recording

8 minutes ago, carosio said:

Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph (1963). It's actually a very clever piece of composition if you follow it closely, there's not many saxophone solos. ...

There you go then.  Artistic credentials to justify using it for all that proud flag waving at the Proms too.

Edited by Guest

Whatever you choose, I wouldn't waste too much time learning the new words. In current diverse society, there will always be somebody who will find it non inclusive or even offensive.

Think of it like society. a constant work in progress.

Most people can't get through Canada's,  without a cheat sheet!

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carosio said:

it would have blown away the French effort!

No it wouldn't a boastful song about an empire that no longer exists would not put a dent in La Marseillaise, a war song for the people, for hoi polloi, not the establishment.

I have no blood connection with France but whenever I hear their anthem I'm ready to storm the Bastille!

24 minutes ago, m williamson said:

No it wouldn't a boastful song about an empire that no longer exists would not put a dent in La Marseillaise, a war song for the people, for hoi polloi, not the establishment.

I have no blood connection with France but whenever I hear their anthem I'm ready to storm the Bastille!

Apart from military marching songs, what would your choice (presuming there is one) be to stir our blood?

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree.

Our national anthem is a dreary dirge of homage to Royalty, rather than an inspiring, all- encompassing and rousing song of National pride.

It's embarrassing to watch footballers mumbling and stuttering over the words at the start of matches.

Maybe it should only be sung when the King is actually in attendance.

Meanwhile, for all other occasions, let's change it.  

Well said Anna. Anyhow the football teams are the best example for reactions to their National Anthems,  just a couple spring to mind, Portugal and France,  you can see the pride and enthusiasm whilst they sing tribute to their country not like our lot, bored stiffless lookin all over the shop with a severe lack of interest, I can't blame em due the embarrasing behavior of our disfunctional Royals. Who wants to be on a World stage singin about that lot :roll:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, carosio said:

Apart from military marching songs, what would your choice (presuming there is one) be to stir our blood?

The tune of The British Grenadiers which is a suitably lively tune but with new words composed referencing the country, not the crown.

I have dual nationality and have held an Irish passport since the 70s. I'm not that enthralled with Amhrán na bhFiann either.

I spent all my childhood summers in the West of Ireland and have suggested this one to family and friends there.