Winters

According to that satirical rag The Guardian people are staying in bed to keep warm just like the Grandparents in Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

It's in their Heat or Eat diaries section. 🙄

What did all these folk do before central heating?

Edited by Al Bundy

31 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

According to that satirical rag The Guardian people are staying in bed to keep warm just like the Grandparents in Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

It's in their Heat or Eat diaries section. 🙄

What did all these folk do before central heating?

Coal fires,threw heat out.

• Like 1

The old Yorkshire range with the coal fire and a few cokes on it looked great and was warm and very useful for cooking heating water and keeping the room warm. A bit of a thing when my mother asked us to clean it with that black stuff(forgot the name of it), was it zebo?

32 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The old Yorkshire range with the coal fire and a few cokes on it looked great and was warm and very useful for cooking heating water and keeping the room warm. A bit of a thing when my mother asked us to clean it with that black stuff(forgot the name of it), was it zebo?

black leaded it

12 hours ago, Kidorry said:

The old Yorkshire range was a masterpiece of design. It served a family's entire needs. My gran had one and I was fascinated by it as a child. It even had a mini cauldron on a swinging arm to cook a stew, and a bread oven as well as a hot water tank. There was nothing like sitting beside the roaring fire in winter. It used to love making paper sticks out of old newspapers for kindling.

But it was the bane of my mother's life as it was her job to blacklead it every Saturday morning and polish the brass fittings until they gleamed. 

• Like 1