What Makes A Politician?

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

But that opens up a whole can of worms. According to some, unless they've worked down the mines or shovelling piles of cement or scrubbing floors, it's not a proper job.

You will find that lots of MPs have had jobs in the so called real world. They have been lawyers, doctors, journalists, academics, researchers, analysts, company directors, department managers, consultants, bankers, traders....  However, to many of the ill-informed masses, being white collar, sitting behind a desk, tapping away on a computer and delegating orders doesn't count as 'proper jobs'

Then they become MPs and forget what the real world is like.

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

But that opens up a whole can of worms. According to some, unless they've worked down the mines or shovelling piles of cement or scrubbing floors, it's not a proper job.

You will find that lots of MPs have had jobs in the so called real world. They have been lawyers, doctors, journalists, academics, researchers, analysts, company directors, department managers, consultants, bankers, traders....  However, to many of the ill-informed masses, being white collar, sitting behind a desk, tapping away on a computer and delegating orders doesn't count as 'proper jobs'

I think it means more knowing what its like to earn a "normal wage, do normal things, use the NHS not go private etc, so they know what normal "plebs" lives are like. I doubt bankers, traders and company directors etc know really what its like to be on the dole or to earn a meagre salary

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sibon said:

Ridiculous post. Utterly ludicrous.

We’ve got a fair few bent politicians, it is true. But most work hard for their constituents and to  try to make the country a better place.

Take Olivia Blake, for example. She’s been up in Stannington for most of the last week, making sure that the poor side with no gas or electricity get proper help from the companies which have let them down.

Here you are:

That’s a politician.

Real politician . Have a cup of tea and remember to vote for me :rolleyes:  Soz for replying, just seen who the poster is 

Edited by hackey lad

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

In my opinion :  Never done a real days work, the ability to shout and scream like a two year old, with debating skills to match and most important of all, be able to fiddle the system to their advantage. And this applies to both sides of the House.

But that is one of the problems with having a democracy that includes all as it also means that almost anyone can become an MP regardless of qualifications, age etc. I think the youngest MP to date is only 23 so exactly what work will she have done and what debating skills or qualities would she have?

48 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Real politician . Have a cup of tea and remember to vote for me :rolleyes:  Soz for replying, just seen who the poster is 

She’s been up there all week. Talking to people. Getting Cadent and Yorkshire Water to do stuff properly. Getting the council to do their jobs correctly. She’s tried to get help from central government, but there are no votes in it for them.

I know plenty of folk in Stannington, because of the job I did. They can’t speak highly enough of her.  

Exactly what you want from a politician. Meanwhile, Tory peers are pocketing tens of millions of pounds.

18 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

But that is one of the problems with having a democracy that includes all as it also means that almost anyone can become an MP regardless of qualifications, age etc. I think the youngest MP to date is only 23 so exactly what work will she have done and what debating skills or qualities would she have?

One of the HoC youngest MPs is  the SNPs Mhari Black.

Her debating skills are said to be very good. In fact her maiden speech got 10 million views online

Mhairi Black's maiden speech tops 10m online views - BBC News