Second Jobs For Politicians

43 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Unfair.

Angela Raynor has always been a supporter of Unions before she ever became an MP.  In fact it was joining the Union when she was a care worker that sparked her interest in politics. 

The Donations above are not Angela Raynor's to keep, but donations to the Labour party as you very well know.

All parties take donations from supporters, it's what pays for their campaigns and other expenses. It's supposed to equalize their chances of election. These are small change compared to the massive amounts given by the multi millionaire donors to the Tory party. 

As for Angela Raynor, at least she's had a normal job and worked her way up the hard way. It's completely to her credit that she's actually made it to where she is. Like her or loath her, she probably has more insight into 'normal life' than the rest of the politicians put together.  

Give over , she worked in care for a few years and then became a  paid union rep 

45 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Give over , she worked in care for a few years and then became a  paid union rep 

Union reps are usually unpaid, and continue working in their original jobs. Wiki says she worked in care for a number of years, before joining the executive . You have to work your way up in the union just like any other job. 

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Union reps are usually unpaid, and continue working in their original jobs. Wiki says she worked in care for a number of years, before joining the executive . You have to work your way up in the union just like any other job. 

But she eventually became deputy PM not because she worked her way up but because she was able to be included on the discriminatory all women shortlist, backed and funded by the unions as well.  

• Like 1

On 18/12/2022 at 01:25, Dromedary said:

But she eventually became deputy PM not because she worked her way up but because she was able to be included on the discriminatory all women shortlist, backed and funded by the unions as well.  

Whatever. She's still a feisty individual who has a fairly unusual background for a politician, and has done well to get where she is today. I think we need more people with her kind of life experience in parliament, to balance the Hooray Henrys.

Prime Minister Ramsey MacDonald (1924) was the illegitimate son of a working class farm labourer and a housemaid. Can you imagine that happening today?  

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Whatever. She's still a feisty individual who has a fairly unusual background for a politician, and has done well to get where she is today. I think we need more people with her kind of life experience in parliament, to balance the Hooray Henrys.

Prime Minister Ramsey MacDonald (1924) was the illegitimate son of a working class farm labourer and a housemaid. Can you imagine that happening today?  

Bang on , Candidates are chosen by the party to represent  a area these days . These people are often  chosen because of who they know . Most of em have never lived in the real World . Both Party's do it but the Conservatives  usually get there 's from public ????????? school

On 18/12/2022 at 01:25, Dromedary said:

Did I miss the General Election where Labour won and she was appointed ‘deputy PM’? :huh:

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

I can imagine a farmworker and a housemaid "getting together". Sounds like a plot for a Netflix series. 

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

I can imagine a farmworker and a housemaid "getting together". Sounds like a plot for a Netflix series. 

Well documented I can assure you. The Labour party was in its infancy at the time, and was seriously intentioned to represent the working class, something that it seems to have lost somewhat today. Interestingly, he was forced out by the usual suspects because he was not one of 'the club' but he came back again, still despised by the Tory party aristos, but very popular in the country. 

I'm surprised his story hasn't made it onto the silver screen....