Shopping Drones

Have you got any shopping drones in Sheffield? Like these.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/shopping/roboshop-trial-sees-100-drones-18780253

You would think that the cost of insurance and road/path taxes would make them uneconomical.

Just imagine a jogger going head first over one of these, in the recent fog.

Just think if Sainsbury's had ten and Tesco's had ten ect. 

4 hours ago, carosio said:

After they're removed of their contents!

Perhaps the same fate as the Ofo bikes (that's why I'm cynical).

I don't believe it's that easy.  All of this cynicism has been tried and tested before. Lots of clickbait articles with lots of fantastical comparators to the Terminator movies or Metal Mickey. Lots of airhead YouTubers making hyped up 'prank' videos trying to pick up and steal contents from robot deliveries.   

The reality is, these things trundle along at a very slow pace, are human tracked and real time monitored, surrounded by cameras, locked and alarmed.   They also spend a lot of time designing the specific catchment areas where they know they will be able to operate without major problems.  Yes of course that doesn't mean they are infallible and accidents don't happen. But like anything, the business who operates it will have appropriate insurance. 

Whilst the implementation in Yorkshire is news, they have really been commonplace for some time  in many cities around the world.  In the UK, it's the old fashioned co-op of all companies who have taken the lead in using this technology.  We now have self navigating robotic porters in quite a few of the large city hotels and in several of the skycraper office buildings in the US and other major destinations, robotic mail carriers have been in existence since the 1970s.

As with everything else, when the novelty dies down the 'yoofs' will move onto something else to bother and destroy.   They will just become part about everyday lives. Its clear that the trend in home delivery for everything is not slowing down. So the more we can do to reduce the continual parade of delivery drivers clogging up every takeaway, fast food, restaurants and corner shop plus removing their cars from the road, it has to be for the better.

Edited by ECCOnoob

52 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Whilst the implementation in Yorkshire is news, they have really been commonplace for some time  in many cities around the world.  In the UK, it's the old fashioned co-op of all companies who have taken the lead in using this technology. 

So the more we can do to reduce the continual parade of delivery drivers clogging up every takeaway, fast food, restaurants and corner shop plus removing their cars from the road, it has to be for the better.

I have seen news items about flying drones too.

My concern is businesses using the pavements.

Most pavements are not busy,  is there enough room on our pavements, should they even be allowed on pavements, since it's illegal for vehicles to drive or park on pavements, even small ones.

Why is that being ignored?

Should cyclists use the pavement when the road is busy, should disability scooters use the road or pavement?

Lots of changes coming in the future, but it seems like these four wheelers get preference.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have seen news items about flying drones too.

My concern is businesses using the pavements.

Most pavements are not busy,  is there enough room on our pavements, should they even be allowed on pavements, since it's illegal for vehicles to drive or park on pavements, even small ones.

Why is that being ignored?

Should cyclists use the pavement when the road is busy, should disability scooters use the road or pavement?

Lots of changes coming in the future, but it seems like these four wheelers get preference.

Hmmm... :huh:

I'm wondering if I got my old tranny to identify as a shopping drone...

... would I be able to get my weekly nibbles without ever having to leave the house? :suspect: