Am I Out Of Touch.

My pal Gazza is a train driver he clears £50,000 a year before tax, 

The nurses are on a pay scale that starts at £25000 , rising to £33,0000 and the top qualified get £55,000 so the BBC news  says today /

Now me and our lass are on pension and pension credit , we clear around  £15000 grand a year  and thats the two of us, We just manage but thats due to the crap pension system in England .

Although  may I add I back working people all the way 

Am I out of   touch . Is £25 to £ 55 grand not a good wage ,   

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The nurses are on a pay scale that starts at £25000 , rising to £33,0000 and the top qualified get £55,000 so the BBC news  says today /

Now me and our lass are on pension and pension credit , we clear around  £15000 grand a year  and thats the two of us, We just manage but thats due to the crap pension system in England .

I wouldn’t like to say whether you are out of touch or not, but life is different for different people.

The average salary for a nurse is £33k. After tax, NI and pension contributions that is roughly £2000 a month. A decent mortgage/rent estimate might be £800-1000. Childcare could easily be £600 per month. That doesn’t leave a lot left for transport, food, energy etc. Not to mention savings, holidays, leisure activities etc.

So, I don’t think that £33k is a good wage at all.

Edited by sibon

12 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Did you not fancy paying into a work or private pension?

24 minutes ago, sibon said:

I wouldn’t like to say whether you are out of touch or not, but life is different for different people.

The average salary for a nurse is £33k. After tax, NI and pension contributions that is roughly £2000 a month. A decent mortgage/rent estimate might be £800-1000. Childcare could easily be £600 per month. That doesn’t leave a lot left for transport, food, energy etc. Not to mention savings, holidays, leisure activities etc.

I am out of touch it seems, My daughter  in law is a top paid nurse by the way .

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I think £33K is a decent wage, many years that's more than I clear. And it's particularly so if there are two earners. But, of course, that's if they're are working full time. So often people moan about being short of money because they are working part time. I have nothing against people working part time, but just don't moan about being skint if they do so.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beamish said:

If the figures in the first post are correct, my question is, "Is a train driver worth that much more than a nurse?"

My question is "Why do you feel the need to compare the two?" They both do jobs which need doing. But if we're levelling things up, let's put the the nurses pay up to train driver level.

12 minutes ago, Beamish said:

If the figures in the first post are correct, my question is, "Is a train driver worth that much more than a nurse?"

Why not, he/she is in charge of a very fast, very expensive machine along with the safety of it’s passengers.?

3 hours ago, sibon said:

That’s only one of the parents.