Am I Out Of Touch.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I can understand why HGV drivers are rare. It's long hours, away from family friends, creature comforts, and what happens if you're caught short?

As I understand it the M20 is supposed to be full of bags of muck, drivers have chucked out their waste material into people's hedges. 🤢

While driving , Th e mind boggles 

Minimum wage equals an annual salary of approx £17,000 per year before tax, (and yes they will pay tax,) so a wage of  £33,000 doesn't sound too bad, but with mortgage, pension, Energy bills, child care, transport, food and other expenses it doesn't go far.  And you can see why workers on minimum wage need to go to foodbanks. 

For comparison purposes, after 40 years of hard graft and  paying taxes and National Insurance, my state old age pension is £8,400 pa.  And I can no longer rely on the National Health or Services that I thought my taxes were paying for to help.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I can understand why HGV drivers are rare. It's long hours, away from family friends, creature comforts, and what happens if you're caught short?

As I understand it the M20 is supposed to be full of bags of muck, drivers have chucked out their waste material into people's hedges. 🤢

You do read some c**p. :hihi:

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

While driving , Th e mind boggles 

Err, no. While queueing for days on end in Operation Stack, waiting their turn to get out of the U.K. because -again- Brexit.

Farage Garages relieved the problem some, when they were brought in.

Shrinking international trade relieved the problem much more since.

Barely any queueing and ‘poo in bushes’ these days.

Great for the environment. Not so great for shoppers, workers and the Exchequer.

It was, and still is, all connected, y’see 🙃

50 minutes ago, Mister M said:

That's plain untrue. If anything it's right wingers who have no sense of humour, which explains the reason why there are so few right wing stand up comedians.

For years the Telegraph and the Mail have been whining about how on television comedy panel shows, all the panellists are 'left wing' (in fact many are just centrist), and it's not fair that there is no representation of right wingers. But if there are no right wing comedians to go on, then what are broadcasters to do?

You could always nominate yourself to do a few stints as the token right winger though  

There are so few right wing comedians because they get cancelled.

No venue wants to take the risk of hosting them due to lefties protesting, stamping their feet and yelling like petulant children.

It's not worth the trouble. Trust me. 😉

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And you can see why workers on minimum wage need to go to foodbanks. 

They go to food banks because they exist. As you have already stated before that even with the very high inflation and interest rates under a labour government you managed to overcome hardship and survived OK without them.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

For comparison purposes, after 40 years of hard graft and  paying taxes, my state old age pension is £8,400.   

But is that all you get as I seem to remember you saying that you also had a second pension?

24 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Was. Isn’t so much these days. Or, well, there isn’t much getting added, if it’s never been cleaned.

EU27 drivers refuse UK deliveries en masse nowadays, there’s a lot less EU-plated HGV traffic. In part because of the issue you raised (no preparations or mitigation  of the delays by UK since 2019 = HGVs stuck in middle of M20 miles away from any services for hours and sometimes days), but more because of the accompanying loss of earnings (HGV stuck = not earning).

Which contributes its own little way to the GB-special higher levels of inflation (less trucks delivering less produce = what gets delivered is de facto rarer = de facto more expensive).

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

They go to food banks because they exist. As you have already stated before that even with the very high inflation and interest rates under a labour government you managed to overcome hardship and survived OK without them.

But is that all you get as I seem to remember you saying that you also had a second pension?

Is the forum a  licence to cross examine people , its like being on trial some times 

• Haha 2