Am I Out Of Touch.

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Doris down the road would be just as good as some carers I've known. Job centres eager to get anyone off benefits often send unsuitable and untrained people into carers jobs, and the training they get in some cases is minimal. Another reason why care assistants should have a clear career structure and training pathway,  preferably within the NHS.

Assuming you are not working for free your wage bill would be a minimum of £1700 a week

(168 hours at £10.42 minimum wage from next April) but more like £2200.

Add being a good employer you would pay the National Living Wage.

Add being a good employer you would pay your NI contribution.

Add being a good employer you would pay a pension contribution.

Add your ambition to pay NHS scale would cost you another £300 a week.

Add holiday pay.

Add Bank Holiday and shift premium.

There are other costs like insurance and heating.

Your income of £2000 per week does not even cover wages.

That is the reason that nobody does it.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
Added 'but more like £2200.'

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

Doris down the road would be just as good as some carers I've known. Job centres eager to get anyone off benefits often send unsuitable and untrained people into carers jobs, and the training they get in some cases is minimal. Another reason why care assistants should have a clear career structure and training pathway,  preferably within the NHS.

Seems like taking care of granny in today's society is a major national logistics issue, and a very expensive one, at that!

When folks demand that government bureaucrats be responsible for care of their families it's understandable that there will be a few snafus.

And it won't come cheap.

There's no free lunch!

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Assuming you are not working for free your wage bill would be a minimum of £1700 a week

(168 hours at £10.42 minimum wage from next April) but more like £2200.

Add being a good employer you would pay the National Living Wage.

Add being a good employer you would pay your NI contribution.

Add being a good employer you would pay a pension contribution.

Add your ambition to pay NHS scale would cost you another £300 a week.

Add holiday pay.

Add Bank Holiday and shift premium.

There are other costs like insurance and heating.

Your income of £2000 per week does not even cover wages.

That is the reason that nobody does it.

Thankyou for your reply. Much appreciated.

What are your views on becoming a full time carer of a loved one for £60 a week?

I do realise this is not all about money, especially where a loved one is concerned, but doing your duty is a surefire path into poverty and that's all wrong.

Probably one of the reasons why families with someone with disabilities are amongst the poorest in the country. 

They'll be many that are on less than £10k/yr who have a surplus after expenditure, and they'll be many that get 60k+ who are in debt (and everything in-between) all for different reasons.

Generally, people sell their labour/goods for as much as they can get, and buy the same for as little as possible.

Edited by carosio

3 hours ago, carosio said:

They'll be many that are on less than £10k/yr who have a surplus after expenditure, and they'll be many that get 60k+ who are in debt (and everything in-between) all for different reasons.

Generally, people sell their labour/goods for as much as they can get, and buy the same for as little as possible.

Which is why the government is able to put caps on prices and earnings etc to avoid gross exploitation by either side.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

What are your views on becoming a full time carer of a loved one for £60 a week?

I do realise this is not all about money, especially where a loved one is concerned, but doing your duty is a surefire path into poverty and that's all wrong.

Probably one of the reasons why families with someone with disabilities are amongst the poorest in the country. 

Support for people who take on the task of being a carer is a disgrace.

Getting these allowances, grants and benefits to support a family through these times can and does takes years.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Support for people who take on the task of being a carer is a disgrace.

Getting these allowances, grants and benefits to support a family through these times can and does takes years.

A very good point.

A friend of mine was a carer for his bedbound elderly mother for over 10 years. He gave up a good job he enjoyed. He got very little help from the state money wise, or practical help in terms of helping to bathe his mother or help lift her so she didn't get bed sores. 24 hours a day, every week of every year for over 10 years. Consequently he developed all kinds of musculoskeletal and stress related health issues.

I and a couple of his other friends went to sit with her occasionally, so he could go out and have a break.

When she finally passed away, the DWP were on his back to get a job, even though he'd explained what he'd gone through.

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2022 at 10:52, Al Bundy said:

I am a member of many forums and without any shadow of a doubt the left are more insulting and foul mouthed.  Many are incapable of accepting that they may be incorrect so resort to personal insults.  The left are excellent at being all shouty and have an amazing talent for holding up placards and being violent.   Not too sure if it's because they are just miserable or if they are bored.  

I guarantee that no labour supporter has had a brick or eggs thrown at their window because they have a Vote Labour poster on display.

We all know that wouldn't apply if you had a Vote Conservative in your window.

It's that simple.

I agree completely, and its just happened on a thread about Vegan food, same thing.  Anyone only has to read some of the comments on the BBC news stories (to be fair these are by the "audience" not by the Beeb itself) you will see plenty of it. Lefties get personal and insulting very quickly. It may be Lefties subconsciously think  they're virtuous and caring so anyone who disagrees with them cannot be and is therefore game for insults. Or it could just be that when they start losing the arguments (Lefties tend to be idealists rather than pragmatists) they start playing the man rather than the ball. I see this regularly.

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I agree completely, and its just happened on a thread about Vegan food, same thing.  Anyone only has to read some of the comments on the BBC news stories (to be fair these are by the "audience" not by the Beeb itself) you will see plenty of it. Lefties get personal and insulting very quickly. It may be Lefties subconsciously think  they're virtuous and caring so anyone who disagrees with them cannot be and is therefore game for insults. Or it could just be that when they start losing the arguments (Lefties tend to be idealists rather than pragmatists) they start playing the man rather than the ball. I see this regularly.

They come over all virtuous to try and help them overcome some inner guilt.   It's their comfort blanket.  Those that shout the loudest do so because they have something to hide.

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

They come over all virtuous to try and help them overcome some inner guilt.   It's their comfort blanket.  Those that shout the loudest do so because they have something to hide.

Yes more of it here. 

It really is hypocritical of them, they expend so much effort virtue signalling "look what a nice kind thoughtful person I am" yet they start insulting people and getting personal and nasty more quickly than any other group.