Am I Out Of Touch.

37 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You could turn your house into a care home. Rake in the money for a few years and then retire. Perhaps you could only manage a couple of oldies, but at a £1,000 each per week, you could do it.

I bet some posters on here live in large houses, how about it?

Too much red tape to do that. 

But if you take in a relative to care for 24/7 (and maybe have to give up a well paid job to do so,) no checks, and you are given the princely sum of £60 a week carers allowance to do so.  And even that pittance is stopped off the cared for person's benefit...

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Too much red tape to do that. 

But if you take in a relative to care for 24/7 (and maybe have to give up a well paid job to do so,) no checks, and you are given the princely sum of £60 a week carers allowance to do so.  And even that pittance is stopped off the cared for person's benefit...

You blame red tape, but then criticise them for being too expensive.

Businesses that start these homes deserve all the rewards they get. There is a large bungalow within a mile from where I live. It is being bought by someone that is turning it into a care home. The bungalow sale was agreed around twelve months ago, it could take another twelve months.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

And the people who staff these homes are paid a pittance, yet when they ask for a pay rise they are told there is no money left.

Who exactly has told them that? Can you cite any examples or is it yet again just another case of hearsay from you. I thought most of these care homes were privately run businesses anyway.

8 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Who exactly has told them that? Can you cite any examples or is it yet again just another case of hearsay from you. I thought most of these care homes were privately run businesses anyway.

Many care homes are privately run businesses. Many, I don't know the percentages are owned by private equity firms. It seems to make little difference.

As  previous Unison member, I got  a monthly magazine from them in which articles discussed negotiations of care staff with their employers, and that was and is the frequent comeback: there is no money.

There are plenty of examples documenting this, if you want to read them, you can find them.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

There are plenty of examples documenting this, if want to read them, you can find them.

Yet another case of hearsay from you that you can't back up as there does not seem to be plenty of examples documenting this at all! If there are plenty of examples then surely you could post some?

19 hours ago, cuttsie said:

What for ??

Actually I made a bit of a mistake as I just recieved my electric voucher this morning of £66 that I never took into consideration.

But here is a breakdown of my actual outgoings per month.

Broadband = 22.00
Electric (80 - 66) = 14.00
Water = 22.00
Gas = (before cap 88) 60.00
Food  variable +/- = 80.00
Mobile Phone = 3.00
Amazon = 8.00
Torguard VPN = 2.00

Total out = £211

Total in = £740.60

Total spare = £529.60      

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

You could turn your house into a care home. Rake in the money for a few years and then retire. Perhaps you could only manage a couple of oldies, but at a £1,000 each per week, you could do it.

I bet some posters on here live in large houses, how about it?

No you could not*.

Night staff (10hrs)will cost more than £210 per night to employ, £1440 per week.

Day staff (8 hrs) would cost £120 per day to employ. £840 per week.

The owner would be working a 42 hour week over 7 days.

So far an operating loss.

In addition you need to provide 42 meals.

In addition you need to provide laundry, heating, cleaning etc. the interest on the borrowings for the conversion and fittings to a suitable, safe, accessible property.

The only way to reduce costs is to increase the number of residents and that is unlikely in your own home.

*We did try and look after a dementia sufferer in our home and these costs were valid in 2018. He had a maximum care plan, a full state pension an excellent personal pension and it just covered his weekly costs 

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Except in a care home. I could live in a first class hotel for less than it costs to sit neglected and drooling in a care home. 

Why are people not outraged by the cost of these places. It's ridiculous.

You could not "...live in a first class hotel for less than it costs to sit neglected and drooling in a care home".

To sit neglected and drooling in a first class hotel would cost in excess of £1000 a week.

To sit neglected and drooling in a Premier Inn would cost upwards of £300 p.w.

In addition you would have to buy 3 meals a day. 

In addition you would need to buy in care and help.

In addition you would to organize everything and pay for personal laundry.

It worries me that people don't:

realize how high the costs are.

know how difficult and complex it is to get funding through government/council (e.g. dementia alone does not qualify you).

know how unprofitable the care business is.

know that NHS or local authority homes are few in number and totally unsuited for long term care for the vast majority.

realize how hard/difficult it is to look after somebody at home.

If you become a permanent carer for someone in your home you can all too easily see them not as a friend and relative but a job you do. To be a regular visitor with a smile on your face and being involved daily with their care is sometimes the best way through a tragedy. I would never ask a relative to "Never let them put me in a home".

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Actually I made a bit of a mistake as I just recieved my electric voucher this morning of £66 that I never took into consideration.

But here is a breakdown of my actual outgoings per month.

Broadband = 22.00
Electric (80 - 66) = 14.00
Water = 22.00
Gas = (before cap 88) 60.00
Food  variable +/- = 80.00
Mobile Phone = 3.00
Amazon = 8.00
Torguard VPN = 2.00

Total out = £211

Total in = £740.60

Total spare = £529.60      

Congratulations on your frugality however there are other costs for most people when they pay:

council tax

rent/mortgage/ground rent/property repair maintenance

replacement and maintenance

dependants

depreciation and vehicle renewal

travel

clothes/shoes

going out

entertaining

most people spend far more than £3 a day on food.

drink

most will spend far more on water and sewerage

holidays

new things

TV licence etc.,etc.

Christmas!

the electricity voucher is not income it is a reduction on a much higher bill and is temporary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

No you could not*.

Night staff (10hrs)will cost more than £210 per night to employ, £1440 per week.

Day staff (8 hrs) would cost £120 per day to employ. £840 per week.

The owner would be working a 42 hour week over 7 days.

So far an operating loss.

In addition you need to provide 42 meals.

In addition you need to provide laundry, heating, cleaning etc. the interest on the borrowings for the conversion and fittings to a suitable, safe, accessible property.

The only way to reduce costs is to increase the number of residents and that is unlikely in your own home.

*We did try and look after a dementia sufferer in our home and these costs were valid in 2018. He had a maximum care plan, a full state pension an excellent personal pension and it just covered his weekly costs 

You could not "...live in a first class hotel for less than it costs to sit neglected and drooling in a care home".

To sit neglected and drooling in a first class hotel would cost in excess of £1000 a week.

To sit neglected and drooling in a Premier Inn would cost upwards of £300 p.w.

In addition you would have to buy 3 meals a day. 

In addition you would need to buy in care and help.

In addition you would to organize everything and pay for personal laundry.

It worries me that people don't:

realize how high the costs are.

know how difficult and complex it is to get funding through government/council (e.g. dementia alone does not qualify you).

know how unprofitable the care business is.

know that NHS or local authority homes are few in number and totally unsuited for long term care for the vast majority.

realize how hard/difficult it is to look after somebody at home.

If you become a permanent carer for someone in your home you can all too easily see them not as a friend and relative but a job you do. To be a regular visitor with a smile on your face and being involved daily with their care is sometimes the best way through a tragedy. I would never ask a relative to "Never let them put me in a home".

I agree that sizing up the number of patients reduces costs per patient, which is why most care homes have many patients, (but usually the minimum care staff they can get away with.)

According to a recent programme on TV, there are only 3 major providers of care in the UK, all domiciled in offshore tax havens. However these are the parent companies of over 500 subsidiary groups of care homes, such as Roseberry and Cygnet etc. Each group has several homes with managers in charge.  That's how they make it pay. And for those at the top raking in the cash it pays big time.

The annoying thing is, ask for something quite small for your relative / client like I did and it was met with a firm no.

I asked if they could provide a weekly TV guide for her, as she spent most of her time watching TV, (and  she was quite happy to pay for it,) but I was told  'it wasn't possible..'

She also disliked having to go into the large communal lounge to watch TV rather than her own room, as everyone (about 30 people) sat in a circle and she was too far away to see or hear the TV and couldn't have her own choice of programmes. She was told she was being anti-social, but in my experience none of the clients talked to each other and most were asleep in their chairs. But then if they can gather all the people in one room they're easier to look after... 

All sorts of interesting activities were advertised in the glossy brochure, but in all the time she was there not one took place and I never saw the activity room being used. When I asked about it, I was told 'the activity co-ordinator was off sick.'  She was off sick apparently for the whole 7 months my client was in there.  She was of very sound mind when she went in, but deteriorated very quickly (IMO through lack of stimulation.) She simply lost the will to live and gave up

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Congratulations on your frugality however there are other costs for most people....

Never disputed that at all though. :)

But most poor people are also seem to be on benefits which also means they don't pay full whack.

when they pay:

council tax. Don't pay any

rent. Don't pay any

/mortgage/ground rent/property repair maintenance.... replacement and maintenance. Don't pay any as I never got into the mortgage trap but it does beg the question as why people want to buy one. I did ask you the reason but you didn't reply!

dependants. Now grown up but I do give my grandson some pocket money each week

depreciation and vehicle renewal. Sold my car several years ago when I realised how much of a drain it was on finances.

travel. I get a bus pass.

clothes/shoes. Costs included in shopping food bill

going out. I go out but it costs nothing to go out

entertaining. Should people entertain when they are apparently skint and going on strike because they can't afford to live.....:huh:

most people spend far more than £3 a day on food. Then they should learn how to budget and stop buying those expensive cakes, crisps and sweets that I often see loaded into people's shopping baskets

drink. With that I take it you mean alcohol, sorry but that is not allowed as it can be dangerous for me

most will spend far more on water and sewerage. Then they should get a water meter and or cut down usage if its costing too much

holidays. Not had one since 1984! Went to Scarborough with my son for a week. Don't need to now as I don't get stressed out, which is the main reason to get away in the first place

new things. Now that one's a mystery as I don't tend to buy many new things and have basically all I need 

TV licence etc.,etc. Dont watch broadcast TV so dont need one

Christmas! I don't celebrate it as I am not a Christian but I do wish people a happy one

the electricity voucher is not income it is a reduction on a much higher bill and is temporary. I know thats why I didn't class it as income....

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny