Am I Out Of Touch.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Minimum wage equals an annual salary of approx £17,000 per year before tax, (and yes they will pay tax,) so a wage of  £33,000 doesn't sound too bad, but with mortgage, pension, Energy bills, child care, transport, food and other expenses it doesn't go far.  And you can see why workers on minimum wage need to go to foodbanks. 

For comparison purposes, after 40 years of hard graft and  paying taxes and National Insurance, my state old age pension is £8,400 pa.  And I can no longer rely on the National Health or Services that I thought my taxes were paying for to help.

Luxury! I don't think I make £7k, and that includes a bit of investment income, and I run a small car, although my (small) mortgage was paid off 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Minimum wage equals an annual salary of approx £17,000 per year before tax, (and yes they will pay tax,) so a wage of  £33,000 doesn't sound too bad, but with mortgage, pension, Energy bills, child care, transport, food and other expenses it doesn't go far.  And you can see why workers on minimum wage need to go to foodbanks. 

For comparison purposes, after 40 years of hard graft and  paying taxes and National Insurance, my state old age pension is £8,400 pa.  And I can no longer rely on the National Health or Services that I thought my taxes were paying for to help.

Why cant you rely on the NHS  ?

41 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why cant you rely on the NHS  ?

Because you can't rely on it being there when you need it any more.

I might spend 10 hours in the back of an ambulance if I have a stroke leaving me with life altering disabilities that make life not worth living, or die before I reach the top of the list for a hip replacement and in great pain, or be unable to get a care assistant to sustain my daily living needs, or get an ambulance if I have a fall..... etc. etc. It's no joke.

As you get older you need to be able to rely on the NHS and Services more. The worry and uncertainty alone is very bad for mental health.  And as for private insurance/health care, the premiums alone would be unaffordable for most of the elderly even if you could get it.  

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Because you can't rely on it being there when you need it any more.

I might spend 10 hours in the back of an ambulance if I have a stroke leaving me with life altering disabilities, or die before I reach the top of the list for a hip replacement and in great pain, or be unable to get a care assistant to sustain my daily living needs, or get an ambulance if I have a fall..... etc. etc. It's no joke.

As you get older you need to be able to rely on the NHS and Services more. The uncertainty alone is very bad for mental health.  And as for private insurance/health care, the premiums alone would be unaffordable for most of the elderly.  

You can .

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Have you had much to do with the NHS lately?

Personally no ,but my sons mother in law  after a visit to her GP on Monday was admitted to Hospital  straight away , shes still there  . Also about 8 weeks ago a bloke I know had his leg amputated , hes now back home being looked after by carers .

17 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why ask a question then scarper ?

I haven't scarpered, but I do have another life offline. 

I have done quite a lot of voluntary work in hospitals over the years, and have just had a torrid 3 years with friends and relatives in hospital as well as myself as a patient. I've also had relatives in care homes. I've seen it go down hill markedly. There is so much wrong from the small and unimportant (but the smallest things are important to the patient,) to some major catastophes that have resulted in death and law suits. It's been so bad I now dread the thought of having to go into hospital, or a care facility.  A good nurse is an angel but there are just as many with the wrong attitude. It's not necessarily money that's in short supply, but the caring and compassion. 

I suspect feeling unappreciated has a lot to do with it. The NHS runs on goodwill, and I fear it has run out.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I haven't scarpered, but I do have another life offline. 

I have done quite a lot of voluntary work in hospitals over the years, and have just had a torrid 3 years with friends and relatives in hospital as well as myself as a patient. I've also had relatives in care homes. I've seen it go down hill markedly. There is so much wrong from the small and unimportant (but the smallest things are important to the patient,) to some major catastophes that have resulted in death and law suits. It's been so bad I now dread the thought of having to go into hospital, or a care facility.  A good nurse is an angel but there are just as many with the wrong attitude. It's not necessarily money that's in short supply, but the caring and compassion. 

I suspect feeling unappreciated has a lot to do with it. The NHS runs on goodwill, and I fear it has run out.

Well I’ve just given you a couple of examples of how it hasn’t gone downhill but carry on .