So Which God Do You Worship .

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

Religion or just Christianity?

Good question.

There are layers in belief systems which evoke a feeling that they are giant political Ponzi schemes 

Unlike a Ponzi the pinnacle is exaggerated or does not exist, it is a creation of the two layers below which are struggling to maintain their power and wealth. Below these are layers dependent on order and structure to maintain their little empires. Below these are layers of people being deprived of their money by those near top while being told it's those below  who are intent on taking their money.

If a religion/belief system is being used to control and deprive like Christianity is/was here then it is time for them to justify themselves.

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Good question.

There are layers in belief systems which evoke a feeling that they are giant political Ponzi schemes 

Unlike a Ponzi the pinnacle is exaggerated or does not exist, it is a creation of the two layers below which are struggling to maintain their power and wealth. Below these are layers dependent on order and structure to maintain their little empires. Below these are layers of people being deprived of their money by those near top while being told it's those below  who are intent on taking their money.

If a religion/belief system is being used to control and deprive like Christianity is/was here then it is time for them to justify themselves.

What ?

23 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Politics!

Or how to separate people from their hard earned money, by promises which, even they know, can never be realized

Depends on the religion but mine definitely states that you can't buy your way into heaven. So charity is optional 

7 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Spirituality, or as you phrase it "own spirituality" is normally a result of some sort of belief in a religion or a God.

From wiki:

Spiritual experiences[edit]

"Neuroscientists have examined brain functioning during reported spiritual experiences finding that certain neurotransmitters and specific areas of the brain are involved. Moreover, experimenters have also successfully induced spiritual experiences in individuals by administering psychoactive agents known to elicit euphoria and perceptual distortions. Conversely, religiosity and spirituality can also be dampened by electromagnetic stimulation of the brain. These results have motivated some leading theorists to speculate that spirituality may be a benign subtype of psychosis – benign in the sense that the same aberrant sensory perceptions that those suffering clinical psychoses evaluate as distressingly incongruent and inexplicable are instead interpreted by spiritual individuals as positive (personal and meaningful transcendent experiences)."

I know from personal experience of taking LSD in the early 70s that there seems to be a great deal of truth in the above. Noticeably those that were already religious in some way had religious or spiritual experiences while those who had no religious base had no religious experiences.

It's all in the mind as they say!

As Timothy Leary said:

Tune in, turn on and drop out.

I know this, I've heard about it before. But it doesn't stop me feeling the way I feel, and is that such a bad thing? It helps me make sense of things, that I think defy explanation, Everything that we are, that we know and experience take place in the brain. The brain produces its own chemicals and drugs so is it surprising that administered drugs have the same or similar affect?  There is even a philosophical argument that nothing exists outside the brain.

I happen to believe that human beings are greater than the sum of their parts. Just my opinion. It's all a mystery whichever way you look at it. 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I know this, I've heard about it before. But it doesn't stop me feeling the way I feel, and is that such a bad thing?

If it makes you personally feel better then that is good and definitely not a bad thing.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

It helps me make sense of things, that I think defy explanation, Everything that we are, that we know and experience take place in the brain. The brain produces its own chemicals and drugs so is it surprising that administered drugs have the same or similar affect?  There is even a philosophical argument that nothing exists outside the brain.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that one, after all what exists when you are dead! 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I happen to believe that human beings are greater than the sum of their parts. Just my opinion.

There certainly seems to be two beliefs that people are very passionate about, religion is one and the other is politics. But that is not really surprising as to me religion was the earliest form of politics as both were designed to control the masses, not by truth but belief.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

It's all a mystery whichever way you look at it. 

What we consider a mystery now may actually be explainable in the future.