Father Christmas ,

I stopped believing in father Christmas when i was seven years old ' 

Charlie Titterton who was at our school on the Manor Top did it .   He told me that there was no such thing as  a man on a reindeer  dressed in red , who came down your chimney, crept into your bedroom and left you a apple , The Beano Album and a shiny shilling . I fell out wi Charley and told him I was going to keep my eyes open on Christmas eve and prove him wrong .

So  that neet mi mam said ."Come  on get up them dancers tha's got to be asleep when he comes or tha'l get nowt "

I did what she said , but fought the sleep and kept mi eyes and ears open .  Soon there was  a clink of light as the bedroom door was silently open and  through my pretend asleep eyes I saw mi mam hang a sack on end of bed .

I never moved a muscle and was soon asleep ,  The next morning was the first time i had not rushed into her bed room shouting He's been  as i had always done before .

She knew that I knew , and gave me a hug and we read Beano together ,

Charlie Titterton  altered my Christmases for ever . Childhood is a magical time int it .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 2

Santa eh. It used to be Father Christmas. 

I reckon the reason it changed from Father Christmas to Santa is to remove the 'Father' aka straight white male. Santa can be anything. Woman, trans person, man identifying as a woman, gay man. 

2022 eh 🙄

6 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Tha knows int war when captain said ." "We go ore top at 7am be ready "  did tha go at half past six.

Rhythm is a dancer
It's a soul's companion
You can feel it everywhere
Lift your hands and voices
Free your mind and join us
You can feel it in the air

6 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I stopped believing in father Christmas when i was seven years old ' 

Charlie Titterton who was at our school on the Manor Top did it .   He told me that there was no such thing as  a man on a reindeer  dressed in red , who came down your chimney, crept into your bedroom and left you a apple , The Beano Album and a shiny shilling . I fell out wi Charley and told him I was going to keep my eyes open on Christmas eve and prove him wrong .

So  that neet mi mam said ."Come  on get up them dancers tha's got to be asleep when he comes or tha'l get nowt "

I did what she said , but fought the sleep and kept mi eyes and ears open .  Soon there was  a clink of light as the bedroom door was silently open and  through my pretend asleep eyes I saw mi mam hang a sack on end of bed .

I never moved a muscle and was soon asleep ,  The next morning was the first time i had not rushed into her bed room shouting He's been  as i had always done before .

She knew that I knew , and gave me a hug and we read Beano together ,

Charlie Titterton  altered my Christmases for ever . Childhood is a magical time int it .

We kept the fantasy going with our kids until they were well into their teens.

It was, well, Father Christmas only comes to those who believe in him!

My kids weren't dummies, they preferred the mysteries of the stuff in their stocking (pillow case in them days) and under the tree, to an adult exchange of gifts, like socks, or a pair of gloves!

So they continued to leave out the small plate of biscuits and glass of milk for the "right jolly old elf" and a carrot for Rudolph, which required the traditional inspection in the morning to see if it was nibbled at.

• Like 2