Oaps To Work Extra years from april idea

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

its okay saying make way for the young uns, but thats the problem we have a shear shortage of workers and desperate for labour,causing food price rises as we plough good food into the land and cull orchards and have far more jobs than people to do them.

What you say is true, but the crop gathering industry is set up for migrant workers, not our own city dwellers who have expenses well beyond the pay and can't afford to take these jobs.

Other worker shortages are because we have been relying on migrant labour too long and not training up our own people. Terrible short term thinking. Sending too many people to University instead of apprenticeships. I also wonder if long covid is playing a part in the labour shortages. I wonder what that figure is.

The government is papering over the cracks (if that) and have been coasting and getting away with it for years. They need to get a grip and do something.  OAPs are not the cavalry and cannot fix it. The country seems to be falling apart in all directions. 

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

What you say is true, but the crop gathering industry is set up for migrant workers, not our own city dwellers who have expenses well beyond the pay and can't afford to take these jobs.

Other worker shortages are because we have been relying on migrant labour too long and not training up our own people.

Our immigration is at record high levels. So what's this about worker shortages?

I think oaps should have the right to choose if they should continue to work

As a lecturer I think I could do my job into my 90s.

Perhaps a good way to coax older people back into the work place is to increase their everyday living costs 

And then if they have more than £2500 in life saving, tax anything above £2500 at 80%

Sp someone who has accumulated a life savings of £3000 has to pay 80% of £500

And do this every year, tax 80% of anything over £2500

Edited by rogets
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, rogets said:

I think oaps should have the right to choose if they should continue to work

As a lecturer I think I could do my job into my 90s.

Perhaps a good way to coax older people back into the work place is to increase their everyday living costs 

And then if they have more than £2500 in life saving, tax anything above £2500 at 80%

Sp someone who has accumulated a life savings of £3000 has to pay 80% of £500

And do this every year, tax 80% of anything over £2500

A lecturer in what - how not to write comedy, by any chance?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Our immigration is at record high levels. So what's this about worker shortages?

Grindleford Station Cafe is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays- lack of staff. A place that never closed.

Just a short walk through any restaurant area will reveal 'Staff  Wanted' signs in windows.

My pal has had to pay his staff more than the minimum wage for the first time ever and still his staff will flit for an extra 50p/hour.

Hotels/ care homes/ hospitals everywhere are chronically understaffed.

The increase in immigration (2021)is driven by factors such as:

21% of long term immigrants have work visas and therefore having temporary residence.

13% of long term immigrants are British nationals and a significant proportion are retired/older and non-productive.

39% of long term immigrants are students.

Home Office estimates suggest that around 89,000 Ukraine Scheme visa-holders arrived in the UK up to the YE June 2022.

Hong Kong immigrants have not been counted yet. 

EU immigration is level.

The biggest pool of working age immigrants are illegal or asylum seekers who cannot be employed or work.

12 hours ago, bassett one said:

its okay saying make way for the young uns, but thats the problem we have a shear shortage of workers and desperate for labour,causing food price rises as we plough good food into the land and cull orchards and have far more jobs than people to do them.

There's a lot of people who have liked working from home or actually preferring to stay at home rather than returning to their previous jobs which may be contributing to labour shortage.

I suspect there's a lot more going on behind the scenes that we're not being told. I don't trust anything the Tory party says or the figures they put out. We're being softened up for something.

Other countries seem to be coping. How have we got into this mess? 

6 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Just make people work to they drop dead on the job and in most circumstances take other lives  as well, ie bus drivers, lorry drivers ect, thats what this Tory goverment is all about.  IRRESPONSIBLE. :roll:

How many times has your claimed scenario actually happened though? In the few tragic cases this has occurred, it has been due to either an undetected, or unavoidable medical emergency - no-one knows when a stroke/heart attack may happen.

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

How many times has your claimed scenario actually happened though? In the few tragic cases this has occurred, it has been due to either an undetected, or unavoidable medical emergency - no-one knows when a stroke/heart attack may happen.

Admitted any age can suffer stroke/heart attack but the law of averages will ensure there is more chance at the 60s and upwards end of the scale  being more at risk.  40 years of work is enough, its time to get the young scrounging yobs in this country of their arses, national service or a no work no dole system should be brought in.  That'll sort the blighters out. :hihi:

• Like 2