The Hurts Of Upper Allen Street And Civico Family Meadow Street

Hi,

I'm researching The Hurts of Allen Street who until 1906 has a milk and egg wholesale business at various addresses. Often it was 122 Allen Street. The last proprietor was William Rodgers Hurt (1835-1906) with his wife Ann Barker. One of their sons, James Barker Hurt (1891-1960) married a Felomena Romano (1887-1955). On their marriage certificate  (20 Oct 1938) Felomena's father is Paul Civico deceased. Felomena is a widow, so it's likely her maiden name was also Civico. Felomena and James lived at 14 Meadow Street, which is close by to Allen Street. I can see there are Civico family members in Meadow Street that had a sweet shop. And on this forum I've found reference to a John Civico a teacher. 

Does anyone know who Felomena Romano/Civico might be?

Thanks!

Louise

1 hour ago, Louise Oldfield said:

Hi,

I'm researching The Hurts of Allen Street who until 1906 has a milk and egg wholesale business at various addresses. Often it was 122 Allen Street. The last proprietor was William Rodgers Hurt (1835-1906) with his wife Ann Barker. One of their sons, James Barker Hurt (1891-1960) married a Felomena Romano (1887-1955). On their marriage certificate  (20 Oct 1938) Felomena's father is Paul Civico deceased. Felomena is a widow, so it's likely her maiden name was also Civico. Felomena and James lived at 14 Meadow Street, which is close by to Allen Street. I can see there are Civico family members in Meadow Street that had a sweet shop. And on this forum I've found reference to a John Civico a teacher. 

Thanks!

Louise

You have told us who Felomena Romano/Civico is.

What you haven't told us is what your research is about.

Family tree?

Welcome to the forum 8) 

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, sorry! I'm doing family research into the Hurts. My Great-great-grandfather was William Rodgers Hurt (1835-1906). I'm trying to find out more about the area they lived in and what happened to them. In the interwar years his grown up children ended up in the Union Workhouse. This is after running the Allen Street shop for years.

13 hours ago, Louise Oldfield said:

Hi,

Yes, sorry! I'm doing family research into the Hurts. My Great-great-grandfather was William Rodgers Hurt (1835-1906). I'm trying to find out more about the area they lived in and what happened to them. In the interwar years his grown up children ended up in the Union Workhouse. This is after running the Allen Street shop for years.

I take it you've done the 'Ancestry' sites and simple searches on't internet.

If you haven't. Have all your questions ready & take advantage of any free trials. (not forgetting to cancel before the free period ends :heyhey:)

I was lucky and can trace part of our tree back to 1650, direct line to 1736.

It took two years, but worth every second. Lots of twists and turns no skeletons but plenty of intrigue :bigsmile:

Try the site below on the off chance, easy to navigate, simply add names. 

Gravestone Photographic Resource (GPR) home page for cemetery grave monument photos (gravestonephotos.com)

The site below gives a good idea of Sheffield over the years.

A History of Sheffield - Local Histories

Try 1800's Sheffield 

1850's Sheffield

etc in images get an idea of how the area would have looked.

Very industrious area with lots of 'Little Mesters' and Silversmiths around Allen St and Scotland St.

Enjoy the journey 

Rocker 8) 

On 17/12/2022 at 22:35, Louise Oldfield said:

Hi,

Is this helpful?

Snap-2022-12-19-at-01-59-39.png

Edited by sadbrewer

Excellent if not sad find Sadbrewer.

This is the type of thing that is out there and what makes researching a family tree rewarding. 

Lots of leads, names and a time line in the article enabling further research :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the rest of your journey Louise 8)

A good indication of what Scotland St was like in the 1900's and how it fared in the link below

Scotland Street (sheffielder.net)

Keep safe

• Like 2

There is also an older, but long-running, thread on this Forum, West bar italians, if you can find it.  And google a website, west bar italians.co.uk (I think that's the right wording, but I 'm sure that Google will find it from that.)  It might be interesting and may be informative too.

Edited by nanoffive
punctuation

On 17/12/2022 at 22:35, Louise Oldfield said:

Hi,

Hi Louise...I don't think they were 'in the workhouse' ...as in destitute. I think it's more likely that they were utilising the workhouse infirmary.

No 7 Blake House Terrace is a rented house in the Upperthorpe area of Sheffield.

In the 1921 Census they seem to be doing OK...

W R Hurt is a fitter's labourer employed by Read & Oxley ( engineers) on Watery Lane.

Ada is an office cleaner for Tomlinson's funeral directors on Bedford St.

J B Hurt is a waiter employed by The Brocco Hotel, Upper Allen St,

I've found that after the death of their father... William Rodgers Hurt b 1874,  joined the Army territorial Force of the York & Lancaster Regiment, he served in that regiment until 1913. It's highly likely he would be recalled for WW1, but unfortunately over 60% of records were lost in the blitz so it's impossible to check. 

Snap-2022-12-19-at-16-42-52.png

Edited by sadbrewer

59 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Hi Louise...I don't think they were 'in the workhouse' ...as in destitute. I think it's more likely that they were utilising the workhouse infirmary.

No 7 Blake House Terrace is a rented house in the Upperthorpe area of Sheffield.

In the 1921 Census they seem to be doing OK...

W R Hurt is a fitter's labourer employed by Read & Oxley ( engineers) on Watery Lane.

Ada is an office cleaner for Tomlinson's funeral directors on Bedford St.

J B Hurt is a waiter employed by The Brocco Hotel, Upper Allen St,

I've found that after the death of their father... William Rodgers Hurt b 1874,  joined the Army territorial Force of the West Riding Regiment, he served in that regiment until 1913. It's highly likely he would be recalled for WW1, but unfortunately over 60% of records were lost in the blitz so it's impossibl to check. 

There is a family tree on Ancestry with the death cert of an Ada Hurt died 1923 sister of W R Hurt . Although she died in the Union Workhouse she is listed as living at 7 Blake House Terrace  . her next of kin W R Hurt is listed as at the same address . So Sadbrewer  is correct in his assumption that she was in the workhoure infirmary

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 19:52, Louise Oldfield said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Louise

Louise, after pulling my hair out for ages...We know that Felomena Civico was born around 1888, she is in no records I can find as Civico or Romano.... I've come to the conclusion Felomena ( possibly not the correct spelling) was born in Italy and didn't come to Britain until after the 1921 census...it could also be that Romano was not her only married name, she could easily have been widowed twice in those days.

The Esther Civico mentioned in the article further up appears to be Restituta Esther Civico, born 1906/7 in Italy according to a tree on Ancestry...backed up by the census return.

They are at 24 Scotland St in 1911

Snap-2022-12-20-at-01-10-13.png

One tree suggests that a Paolo Civico was born in Italy around 1870...he could be Filomena's father. Unfortunately I don't have access to Italian records.

If you haven't done it yet, the Ancestry Dna test could match you to the exact line, but I think all the Civico's mentioned are related.