The Hurts Of Upper Allen Street And Civico Family Meadow Street

Thanks everyone very much for all this info. Super helpful and interesting. I've not logged on since, so apologies for missing you had all posted! I'd not setnotice of replies! 

Felomena isn't a blood relative of mine. She married James Barker Hurt, who is my great, great uncle. So I connect to that side. What's amazing to me is that I left Sheffield aged 18 and after a period in Germany, I ended up moving to Italy where I met my husband and we lived for many years.  I've not looked into Italian records, but I might be able to. 

I'm also interested in the social history of the Allen Street, Scotland Street area. Do you by chance have a historic OS map to recommend that covers the area?

I'd been surprised the Hurts had ended up in the workhouse after I'd found them doing well in 1911 and 1921. The death certificate for Ada  I've posted.  So this explains it. My mistake. 

Thanks so much.

Louise

3 minutes ago, Louise Oldfield said:

Thanks everyone very much for all this info. Super helpful and interesting. I've not logged on since, so apologies for missing you had all posted! I'd not setnotice of replies! 

Felomena isn't a blood relative of mine. She married James Barker Hurt, who is my great, great uncle. So I connect to that side. What's amazing to me is that I left Sheffield aged 18 and after a period in Germany, I ended up moving to Italy where I met my husband and we lived for many years.  I've not looked into Italian records, but I might be able to. 

I'm also interested in the social history of the Allen Street, Scotland Street area. Do you by chance have a historic OS map to recommend that covers the area?

I'd been surprised the Hurts had ended up in the workhouse after I'd found them doing well in 1911 and 1921. The death certificate for Ada  I've posted.  So this explains it. My mistake. 

Thanks so much.

Louise

Have you clicked on the link I left you in #6 nice bit of history regarding the Scotland St area.

Simple search on't internet should find you even more.

Keep safe

Rocker 8)  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/12/2022 at 10:00, Rockers rule said:

Have you clicked on the link I left you in #6 nice bit of history regarding the Scotland St area.

Simple search on't internet should find you even more.

Keep safe

Rocker 8)  

Thanks! Forgot to mention that I had checked out the link re Scotland St. So interesting.