Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

49 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The “intergreen” ( time from losing green one one approach to gaining it on an opposing approach) clearance timings are set in accordance with distances to conflict points ( ie the points at which vehicles on different approaches might hit each other). They are usually 7 seconds at junctions.

On some signalised roundabouts, because of how far set back the stop lines are,  the signals start to change on the opposing entry before the other set is at full red. It isn’t a fault, it is set like that intentionally to minimise “lost” time. It isn’t dangerous. It’s been set like that for many years.

The same stuff does happen elsewhere, that’s a fact, not a weak argument.

What do you mean “red lights cause the problem”?

What exactly is your solution?

This particular, multi-lane roundabout doesn't have set back stop lines. 

The lights stopping the RA traffic turn amber and at the same time the lights holding traffic from entering start the red/amber phase. There is probably at most 1sec between RA at red and entering traffic at green. 

A late amber gambler and an eager launcher will cause a collision. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

This particular, multi-lane roundabout doesn't have set back stop lines. 

The lights stopping the RA traffic turn amber and at the same time the lights holding traffic from entering start the red/amber phase. There is probably at most 1sec between RA at red and entering traffic at green. 

A late amber gambler and an eager launcher will cause a collision. 

Which one is it? Park Sq?

I may not have explained it very clearly. The intergreen timing ( one approach losing green to the opposing approach gaining green) is set using a calculation involving the distances from the stop lines to the likely collision point.

The intergreen clearance times there and at other roundabouts are tighter than you would see at junctions because it takes the moving traffic less time to clear the collision point. Intervisibility is usually quite good too.

You might perceive it as a safety risk, but in practice, it isn’t. It works very well. There are very few collisions of the type you describe.

11 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do enlighten us on what you mean and highlight where it is being successfully used.

you have a broken down car partially blocking one lane, of a 3 mile road with 60 sets of traffic lights, causing a 5 mile tailback, and mucho  pollution.

how do you remove the bottleneck and ease the flow of traffic. You are in a major city centre.

your time starts now

1 minute ago, fools said:

you have a broken down car partially blocking one lane, of a 3 mile road with 60 sets of traffic lights, causing a 5 mile tailback, and mucho  pollution.

how do you remove the bottleneck and ease the flow of traffic. You are in a major city centre.

your time starts now

You’re the one with all the answers ( at least in your mind). You tell me ( and give examples of where it’s done).

5 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

As usual Planner 1 doesn't reply to any posts that have valid content ,same with Mr Risen as well

Hi there Mike. Please quote the posts you refer to and I will ensure I reply to them. I have already told you I dont really care if older private cars will end up getting charged as I drive a nice shiny new(ish) 72 plate car and so will be unaffected. Enjoy your day :) 

44 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

As usual Planner 1 doesn't reply to any posts that have valid content ,same with Mr Risen as well

What valid content?

The old one that a broken down vehicle shouldn’t be allowed to result in the ring road being blocked?

The poster I was replying to was implying that there is more that could be done to prevent this happening. I’ve asked what they think that is. They have tried to turn it on me as if I should know as I’m a transport planner. They are the one who is suggesting more could be done, it’s legitimate to ask what exactly they think that is.