Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

8 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Planner 1,

I'm still waiting for your answer regarding the question I asked of Mr Risen who as I fully expected  failed to give a valid reply.?

I have invited you to reply but so far nothing?.

Only invalid in your mind tbf. 

26 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Only invalid in your mind tbf. 

Not at all ,if a judge in a court of law was asked to make a judgement upon the situation I have presented would be or she say ,"well I'm not interested as it doesn't affect me".

On 03/08/2023 at 09:13, mike1961 said:

Same question then to planner 1 , answers please?

Not sure why you are asking me, it’s the government you should be asking, as they imposed the CAZ’s, they set the categories of CAZ’s that can be used and they set the types of vehicle which are charged in each.

If you want a guess at why vans are charged and not similar engined cars, I’d think it’s because vans have been the big growth area in terms of traffic volumes and the annual mileage for vans (13k per annum) is around double that of cars (7k per annum) according to government figures. Vans are used more, polluter pays. That would be my guess, but it’s only that.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Not sure why you are asking me, it’s the government you should be asking, as they imposed the CAZ’s, they set the categories of CAZ’s that can be used and they set the types of vehicle which are charged in each.

If you want a guess at why vans are charged and not similar engined cars, I’d think it’s because vans have been the big growth area in terms of traffic volumes and the annual mileage for vans (13k per annum) is around double that of cars (7k per annum) according to government figures. Vans are used more, polluter pays. That would be my guess, but it’s only that.

Thanks for answering, although I sort of understand your point ,it really is irrelevant how many times a van enters the CAZ zone as opposed to a car with exactly the same engine and same emissions does.if this was all about clean air then both would be charged.the only reason why SCC haven't yet started charging cars is they couldn't cope with the public backlash against them.

The government from my understanding did not insist that Sheffield introduced a chargeable CAZ Zone that was down to SCC who decided how they would introduce it and the parameters used 

5 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

he only reason why SCC haven't yet started charging cars is they couldn't cope with the public backlash against them.

Or, just maybe, they think the limits can be lowered by a category C zone only without the need to upgrade to a category B or A zone. Not everything is a conspiracy. Well, maybe on here it is. 

25 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Thanks for answering, although I sort of understand your point ,it really is irrelevant how many times a van enters the CAZ zone as opposed to a car with exactly the same engine and same emissions does.if this was all about clean air then both would be charged.the only reason why SCC haven't yet started charging cars is they couldn't cope with the public backlash against them.

The government from my understanding did not insist that Sheffield introduced a chargeable CAZ Zone that was down to SCC who decided how they would introduce it and the parameters used 

The government set all the parameters for CAZ’s, the councils who were mandated to introduce them just had to decide which type to use and produce a business case justifying how that would resolve the illegal air quality issue.

Other places have introduced charging CAZ’s and there doesn’t appear to have been any massive backlash against them.

If you do want to clean up the air I think it’s natural to target the vehicles that get used the most. The van that does 13k miles a year is going to produce more pollutants in that year than the car that does 7k miles. So, if by introducing a charge, you persuade the van owner to use a cleaner vehicle instead, you’ve achieved your aim. 

27 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The government set all the parameters for CAZ’s, the councils who were mandated to introduce them just had to decide which type to use and produce a business case justifying how that would resolve the illegal air quality issue.

Other places have introduced charging CAZ’s and there doesn’t appear to have been any massive backlash against them.

If you do want to clean up the air I think it’s natural to target the vehicles that get used the most. The van that does 13k miles a year is going to produce more pollutants in that year than the car that does 7k miles. So, if by introducing a charge, you persuade the van owner to use a cleaner vehicle instead, you’ve achieved your aim. 

air in sheffield within the caz isnt illegal as per the guidelines set out by the courts and adopted by the govt.