Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh for god sake, he has dragged Covid into this thread. Have a day off, for crying out loud.

A misinterpretation of my post, again.

I was talking about the experts predictions about Covid as opposed to Covid itself.  And, for the purposes of answering Organgrinders' post (implying we should always trust "the experts"), that is entirely relevant.

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

One air trip to New York from Manchester produces 2.7 tons of air pollution . There are hundreds of thousands of air journeys a week World wide , No  Government interference  on this traffic , So why is my Berlingo a problem if I drive a short journey to town and back , It produces a mere fart of pollution when compared with a jet trip to Torromolinus  or Benedorm .

Not yet, but you just wait (unless they drop their "Nett Zero" dogma that is).

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

That's the second big load of rubbish this morning.

You need to stop googling everything so that you can quote and pretend to be extremely knowledgeable.

You seem to have a problem keeping your buildings mice and rat free so even they are outwitting you.

Foot note: This thread IS NOT ABOUT COVID

Far better to just make it up ?

>>Foot note: This thread IS NOT ABOUT COVID<<

I was using the example of how inaccurate scientists and "experts" can be (and how they are almost always overly pessimistic) to rebut your post which implied they always know and we should just defer to them. As such, my post is entirely relevant.

You had previously posted :

>>So the scientists and the government  are all morons and the public are all dim.<<

Which, as you know, was your satirical way of saying the opposite, that they are always (or even usually) right.

I was simply pointing out that assumption is very far from the truth.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

All the pollution is killing the planet and not just some of it so they can talk ass daft as they like but will never fool me.

The planet, certainly in advanced economies, has never been cleaner, and pollution would continue to fall, albeit more slowly, without these draconian edicts which so negatively affect so many people's lives.

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Far better to just make it up ?

>>Foot note: This thread IS NOT ABOUT COVID<<

I was using the example of how inaccurate scientists and "experts" can be (and how they are almost always overly pessimistic) to rebut your post which implied they always know and we should just defer to them. As such, my post is entirely relevant.

You had previously posted :

>>So the scientists and the government  are all morons and the public are all dim.<<

Which, as you know, was your satirical way of saying the opposite, that they are always (or even usually) right.

I was simply pointing out that assumption is very far from the truth.

No, I was taking that down,   ( in bold )  which was a statement from the previous poster.

Don't need any examples thanks.

We can all be inaccurate, or just plain wrong from time to time. I have made mistakes in the past as I'm sure you have.

They may not be much different but they have a lot of facts at their disposal which we don't have.

NOBODY always knows and we defer to them because they are likely to have the most knowledgeable advice compared to the rest of us and,

they are charged with the very high responsibility of looking after the health of a whole nation. 

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"

That was a very early estimate of the number of deaths if the government did nothing. By the use of various measures, including lockdowns and eventually vaccinations, we "only" had 200,000 deaths. So it's actually a really good estimate given the data available at the time.

10 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

That was a very early estimate of the number of deaths if the government did nothing. By the use of various measures, including lockdowns and eventually vaccinations, we "only" had 200,000 deaths. So it's actually a really good estimate given the data available at the time.

Please dont indulge his love all all things Covid, he infects every single thread he posts in with this guff. Take it to the Covid thread.

12 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

of those 200,000 how many died from covid alone??