Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

8 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

You try transporting them for just a day. 

A large number of people will not be able to sleep if they haven't had a good argument or moan. 

I didn't know you suffered from insomnia.  Sorry about that.

Are you a resident at Resident's residence?

You could both move away if we all annoy you so much, and everybody can be happy then.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

>>Chekhov said:
I can remember well the day that cheap bus fares were abolished, the amount of traffic went up significantly.<<

Probably due to the huge number of deregulated buses plying their trade.

Some cities became hugely congested with them.

Bus ridership was falling even when they were cheap and subsidised.

As it happens, even as a supporter of free enterprise, I am unconvinced about the merits of a deregulated public transport service. Particularly a subsidised one.

But the increase in traffic and traffic jams was little to do with extra buses, and almost all to do with many many more cars.

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Those OAP's are the people who went to work and paid taxes to pay for your education and family allowances.

Just because most of them once worked and (most of them) paid taxes is no reason for them to be given free public transport, or a triple lock on their pension come to that.

At best they should get discounted fares, not free fares.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Resident said:

If you want to go back to 10p fares then we will have to go back to a time where there's no minimum wage so drivers can be paid significantly less, absymal safety standards. Bus drivers (in London) were paid ~£180 per week in 1988. (source)

The ultimate aim of the low fares policy back in the 70s was free buses. One suspects that the costs of collecting 10p fares (or 2p for kids) meant free busses probably wouldn't have cost that much more !

However, car use is going to get reduced by taxation one way or the other, esp in cities. 

Would you rather that was by subsidised public transport, or extra taxes (permits and/or road pricing etc) ?

Personally I prefer the carrot rather than the stick.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Exactly, @Resident - but you will never stop South Yorkshire folk complaining 'it costs too much

Oh poor dears.

You'll never stop RollingJ & Resident from complaining about having to pay taxes.

You are both very well suited then to living in South Yorkshire.

Too silly to realise that you are exactly the same as the people you are criticising.

Those OAP's are the people who went to work and paid taxes to pay for your education and family allowances.

Have either of us actually complained about having to pay taxes? We are both aware of the trouble bus drivers have with passengers in this area - which, from my extensive travels on public transport around the country, seems almost unique, although I have noticed the trouble some young adults seem to have in behaving in a sensible manner in  other (usually large town/city) areas.

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The ultimate aim of the low fares policy back in the 70s was free buses. One suspects that the costs of collecting 10p fares (or 2p for kids) meant free busses probably wouldn't have cost that much more !

However, car use is going to get reduced by taxation one way or the other, esp in cities. 

Would you rather that was by subsidised public transport, or extra taxes (permits and/or road pricing etc) ?

Personally I prefer the carrot rather than the stick.

Can I just clarify something here ?

If we had a heavily subsidised public transport system the workers would have to be employed on the basis of no strikes.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Have either of us actually complained about having to pay taxes? We are both aware of the trouble bus drivers have with passengers in this area - which, from my extensive travels on public transport around the country, seems almost unique, although I have noticed the trouble some young adults seem to have in behaving in a sensible manner in  other (usually large town/city) areas.

Re-Taxes;  Resident did in post #1086.

You are both aware of the trouble bus drivers have in this area.  Why, when you go on your extensive travels, do you bother coming back.

As you don't like South Yorkshire folk (which I presume you both are) and you don't like OAP's and you don't like bus passengers and now you don't like young adults,

maybe you both should check whether you have inbuilt sociability problems which is causing all this annoyance for you.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

Re-Taxes;  Resident did in post #1086.

You are both aware of the trouble bus drivers have in this area.  Why, when you go on your extensive travels, do you bother coming back.

As you don't like South Yorkshire folk (which I presume you both are) and you don't like OAP's and you don't like bus passengers and now you don't like young adults,

maybe you both should check whether you have inbuilt sociability problems which is causing all this annoyance for you.

Tax - s there was no need to involve me in that.

Why do I come back here? - because here is where I live, I am an OAP - it comes to us all.

The vast majority of bus passengers are no problem, but it only takes one or two a day playing silly idiots, and I can see why some drivers quit.

Maybe you should read what people post, and not what you *think* they've posted.

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Tax - s there was no need to involve me in that.

Why do I come back here? - because here is where I live, I am an OAP - it comes to us all.

The vast majority of bus passengers are no problem, but it only takes one or two a day playing silly idiots, and I can see why some drivers quit.

Maybe you should read what people post, and not what you *think* they've posted.

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You also complained about taxes in post # 1082.

I have been involved in many debates with you and yes, you have complained about taxes.  I will bring it to your notice when you do it again.

Are you one of those complained about who are using the buses on free passes then?

NOW, you qualify your post and tell us that THE MAJORITY OF PASSENGERS ARE NO PROBLEM which is NOT what you said, and then you blame my reading.

I know what you posted so you should go back and look if you can't remember.

Make yer mind up lad.

Edited by Organgrinder

9 hours ago, cuttsie said:

One air trip to New York from Manchester produces 2.7 tons of air pollution . There are hundreds of thousands of air journeys a week World wide , No  Government interference  on this traffic , So why is my Berlingo a problem if I drive a short journey to town and back , It produces a mere fart of pollution when compared with a jet trip to Torromolinus  or Benedorm .

C02 is not air pollution. The very gas that produces life is pollution is the bs being spouted as fact. 200PPM gives an extinction event. We are at 400ppm and for 100s of millions of years it was 1000 or above. The scaremongers pick their stats carefully. Water vapour has a greater greenhouse effect maybe we should get rid of water and maybe oxygen as well.

23 hours ago, cuttsie said:

One air trip to New York from Manchester produces 2.7 tons of air pollution . There are hundreds of thousands of air journeys a week World wide , No  Government interference  on this traffic , So why is my Berlingo a problem if I drive a short journey to town and back , It produces a mere fart of pollution when compared with a jet trip to Torromolinus  or Benedorm .

1) You can't compare 1x plane trip with 1x car trip and expect to see the whole picture. Though there are thousands of flights globally every day, there are millions and millions of car journeys globally every day. It stacks up.

2) It's still true that air travel causes a huge chunk of emissions and you ask a fair question - why aren't Government's doing more to challenge the amount of air travel and the emissions it produces? It is also fair to say though that they do make some efforts towards this. But I think the airline industry is quite well protected unfortunately.