Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

1) You can't compare 1x plane trip with 1x car trip and expect to see the whole picture. Though there are thousands of flights globally every day, there are millions and millions of car journeys globally every day. It stacks up.

2) It's still true that air travel causes a huge chunk of emissions and you ask a fair question - why aren't Government's doing more to challenge the amount of air travel and the emissions it produces? It is also fair to say though that they do make some efforts towards this. But I think the airline industry is quite well protected unfortunately.

You say unforunately, I say fortunately.

I, and millions of other people, want to fly away on holiday.......

This is where the environmental zealots are going to come up against a brick wall. Nobody, outside of London, has actually been hit negatively by all these edicts yet, but it'll be carnage when they are !

17 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Christ you love an argument dont you?

Why is anyone on here if they don't ? That said, I would dispute the word argument, I do not love arguing, or even much like it, but I feel strongly about a lot of things (esp suppressing society for Covid, as you know) and therefore have to argue with people on the subjects. 

Edited by Chekhov

Guest busdriver1
19 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Can I just clarify something here ?

If we had a heavily subsidised public transport system the workers would have to be employed on the basis of no strikes.

So when there is a MASSIVE UK wide shortage of Bus drivers you want to curtail their rights and think that will solve public transport. 

Good Luck with that one.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

So when there is a MASSIVE UK wide shortage of Bus drivers you want to curtail their rights and think that will solve public transport. 

Good Luck with that one.

No, if there was  shortage of bus drivers they would have to give them a pay rise. Just like the truck driver job adverts a year or two back were offering ridiculous amounts of money. Critically, that was without the need for any of them to go on strike. It's the market, and we live in a free market.

But, I disagree with public transport worklers striking on another level anyway, people are relying on that service to live their life. It is unreasonable to penalise them for an industrial dispiute, particularly if the service is heavily subsidised in an effort to get people to use their cars less, or even not have a car at all.

Guest busdriver1
15 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No, if there was  shortage of bus drivers they would have to give them a pay rise. Just like the truck driver job adverts a year or two back were offering ridiculous amounts of money. Critically, that was without the need for any of them to go on strike. It's the market, and we live in a free market.

But, I disagree with public transport worklers striking on another level anyway, people are relying on that service to live their life. It is unreasonable to penalise them for an industrial dispiute, particularly if the service is heavily subsidised in an effort to get people to use their cars less, or even not have a car at all.

So I your world there is no shortage of bus drivers? 

52 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What if they were striking because they want the company to provide them extra security measures from being assaulted/abused by passengers ? 

Too many cars on the road, I am fed up of being caught up in traffic jams

If this charge gets rid of a few cars from the roads then surely this will be a good idea?

I think diesels should be next, then petrol, then motorbikes, then hybrids, get them all off the road

3 minutes ago, rogets said:

If this charge gets rid of a few cars from the roads then surely this will be a good idea?

I think diesels should be next, then petrol, then motorbikes, then hybrids, get them all off the road

Including you. 😀

5 minutes ago, rogets said:

0.5/10

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Including you. 😀

I never thought of that

All motorbikes, diesels and petrol cars off the roads

But let hybrids use the roads

If we did that, that would reduce congestion, get cleaner air and I could still use the roads with my car

Edited by rogets

9 minutes ago, rogets said:

I never thought of that

All motorbikes, diesels and petrol cars off the roads

But let hybrids use the roads

If we did that, that would reduce congestion, get cleaner air and I could still use the roads with my car

0.1/10