Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

11 hours ago, mike1961 said:

There's some pretty big porkies being told on here.

It's very clear from a recent central government video I've seen that the present government are against CAZ Zone charging.

Well the government have approved the business cases for all of the CAZ’s and that includes whether it’s a charging one or not.

Having approved the business cases they have actually funded the implementation of them, so difficult to see how anyone can conclude the government are against charging CAZ’s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Well the government have approved the business cases for all of the CAZ’s and that includes whether it’s a charging one or not.

Having approved the business cases they have actually funded the implementation of them, so difficult to see how anyone can conclude the government are against charging CAZ’s.

I'd post the link for the video Penny Mourdant of the present Conservative government clearly states that she and the government are against charging fines associated with non compliant vehicles entering CAZ Zones, especially given the present recovery from the pandemic coupled with the cost of living crisis and inflation etc.

Unfortunately I can assure you Penny Mourdant has said the above recently but I can't get the link to work 

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

I'd post the link for the video Penny Mourdant of the present Conservative government clearly states that she and the government are against charging fines associated with non compliant vehicles entering CAZ Zones, especially given the present recovery from the pandemic coupled with the cost of living crisis and inflation etc.

Unfortunately I can assure you Penny Mourdant has said the above recently but I can't get the link to work 

Well, the CAZ’s are all government mandated, government approved and government funded.

They may well mean that the government are only imposing the CAZ’s because the courts have compelled them to act on illegal levels of nitrogen oxides etc. It was pretty clear they didn’t want to take any action and thought that the problem would go away eventually as emissions standards of vehicles improved.

15 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Well, the CAZ’s are all government mandated, government approved and government funded.

They may well mean that the government are only imposing the CAZ’s because the courts have compelled them to act on illegal levels of nitrogen oxides etc. It was pretty clear they didn’t want to take any action and thought that the problem would go away eventually as emissions standards of vehicles improved.

So it's to courts fault now ???, for gods sake , emissions standards are generally pretty good now anyway and will only get better over time as vehicles are naturally replaced rather than forced to replace 

26 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

So it's to courts fault now ???, for gods sake , emissions standards are generally pretty good now anyway and will only get better over time as vehicles are naturally replaced rather than forced to replace 

I’m sure you know why CAZ’s are being imposed. It’s been discussed on here often enough.

There are LEGAL limits for atmospheric pollutants. A number of cities have locations which are in breach of them and have been for a long time.

The government clearly hoped that as emission standards improved the air quality, these problem sites would go away eventually. 

Unfortunately, people got tired of waiting. Environmental activists ( lawyers) took the government to court and won. The courts instructed the government to act and correct the breaches as quickly as possible. That’s why we have got CAZ’s. But you know this, so why are you acting surprised.

4 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

A Conservative government with a healthy majority that is worth it's salt would put the kibosh on this whole idea as it restricts peoples freedom of movement and harms business. It is clear that our government and council are just WEF puppets.

So are the environmental  activists who took the government to court and the courts themselves “WEF puppets”?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sheffbag said:

No, but this does

mean average of all measurements in the caz - under the legal limit of 40

number of places within the caz last recorded over 40 - 6. Sheaf st and around fitzalan and waingate

so why charge outside there

Hi - useful info - have you got a link to sites that record pollution and latest readings - or is it the map and spreadsheet on the council website at https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/pollution-nuisance/air-quality?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, mike1961 said:

I dare say she has, but the Conservatives say one thing, and do another. Not to be trusted.

What interests me is the low priority they have given to warning in advance and explanation of who it applies to on the road signs. Fine if you live in Sheffield perhaps but not if you are a stranger to the city and have no idea if you have incurred a charge because you have say an old diesel car

Guest busdriver1

Interesting development from TM Travel who basically had next to no vehicles that were eligible for the CAZ. They have bought 9 buses from Edinburgh that were Hybrids and therefore eligible for use in the CAZ. However, it would appear that Edinburgh have removed the hybrid system as it was unreliable so what is left is a Euro5 vehicle that is not compliant.  ooops.

24 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

What interests me is the low priority they have given to warning in advance and explanation of who it applies to on the road signs. Fine if you live in Sheffield perhaps but not if you are a stranger to the city and have no idea if you have incurred a charge because you have say an old diesel car

Since cars are currently exempt a bit of a moot point really. Mind there are plenty people seeing the signs that dont explain this so avoiding the area.