Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Since cars are currently exempt a bit of a moot point really. Mind there are plenty people seeing the signs that dont explain this so avoiding the area.

My bold

That won't last though. At some point private cars will be included and I reckon the CAZ will be extended too.

53 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

That won't last though. At some point private cars will be included and I reckon the CAZ will be extended too.

When?

The CAZ was first mooted back in 2018 at least and hasn't changed since. In another 4 or 5 years electric vehicles will be much more commonplace.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

When?

The CAZ was first mooted back in 2018 at least and hasn't changed since. In another 4 or 5 years electric vehicles will be much more commonplace.

You are not getting the message are you?  WE DON'T TRUST THE POLITICIANS.

Your making pointless remarks about when it was mooted won't change that.

You are dreaming about  4 or 5 years before electric vehicles are commonplace.

You can still buy petrol and diesel cars up until 2030 for half the price of electric ones and you won't have to search for a charging station everywhere you go..

You,   are far too trusting of politicians but maybe that's because you don't live in the UK.

14 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

What interests me is the low priority they have given to warning in advance and explanation of who it applies to on the road signs. Fine if you live in Sheffield perhaps but not if you are a stranger to the city and have no idea if you have incurred a charge because you have say an old diesel car

I think the same, they should have signs that are at the point you enter the CAZ. On Saturday night I ended up driving my van into it so a bit dumb on my part but better signage is an issue in my opinion.

I could apply for an exemption but due to recently changing the van I havnt received the V5 yet so I’m going to wait for the fine and th3m challenge it to see what happens.

on a brighter note my big diesel engined  Range Rover which has higher polluting emissions then my van is allowed into the CAZ charge free.

4 hours ago, mafya said:

I think the same, they should have signs that are at the point you enter the CAZ. On Saturday night I ended up driving my van into it so a bit dumb on my part but better signage is an issue in my opinion.

I could apply for an exemption but due to recently changing the van I havnt received the V5 yet so I’m going to wait for the fine and th3m challenge it to see what happens.

You have a whole week to pay it. Go online and pay the tenner.

On 04/03/2023 at 20:40, Longcol said:

Hi - useful info - have you got a link to sites that record pollution and latest readings - or is it the map and spreadsheet on the council website at https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/pollution-nuisance/air-quality?

Thanks.

You have the correct link. its the diffusion tube results that Defra return back to SCC from their analysis. 

As Maz said on Radio Sheffield. They get the figures once a year from Defra and that is what the CAZ is based on

The average for the tubes inside the CAZ is around 34-35. Well under the legal limit of 40.

On 04/03/2023 at 19:48, Planner1 said:

I’m sure you know why CAZ’s are being imposed. It’s been discussed on here often enough.

There are LEGAL limits for atmospheric pollutants. A number of cities have locations which are in breach of them and have been for a long time.

The government clearly hoped that as emission standards improved the air quality, these problem sites would go away eventually. 

Unfortunately, people got tired of waiting. Environmental activists ( lawyers) took the government to court and won. The courts instructed the government to act and correct the breaches as quickly as possible. That’s why we have got CAZ’s. But you know this, so why are you acting surprised.

So are the environmental  activists who took the government to court and the courts themselves “WEF puppets”?

Yes there are. And Sheffield CAZ emissions are under the legal limit as an average and has been since the 2021 results were published.

15 hours ago, mafya said:

on a brighter note my big diesel engined  Range Rover which has higher polluting emissions then my van is allowed into the CAZ charge free.

That is just an indication of how well thought out it all is.

Instead of starting years ago and having a slow gradual move over time, They have ignored a situation which they knew was there and then have to implement things with a bang.

Typical politicians, both government and local and typical planners too.

Edited by Organgrinder

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Is there a key to the colours on the linked-page?

if you are referring to the map then its the "tube group" that it belongs to. If you then go tot he excel file on the right hand side you can find historical results there

10 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You have a whole week to pay it. Go online and pay the tenner.

I would like to think Sheffielders would show their disdain / disgust for these changes, which they did not vote for, by refusing en masse to pay charges /fines.

Stick together and we are invincible.  

• Sad 1