Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

18 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Bet all the cycle lanes SCC put in at great expense aren't getting much use in this weather .

Such a shame 

We don't have many cycle lanes.

Most of what we do have consist of a painted white line near the gutter, as on Birley Moor Road.

Why pick on cyclists because the council have upset you?

You could always buy a bike with a trailer.

Well I recently travelled from Sheffield to Rotherham and back again.

I used Sheffield Road from Tinsley Viaduct all the way to Rotherham passing Magna Science Museum.

This was around midday.

This Road has recently had a segregated cycle lane put in at no doubt great expense.

So it's safe for cyclists and Sheffield Road is also fairly flat all the way through to Rotherham.

Guess what I never saw one cyclist using the cycle lane all the way to Rotherham and all the way back to Sheffield.

Just now, mike1961 said:

I used Sheffield Road from Tinsley Viaduct all the way to Rotherham passing Magna Science Museum.

This was around midday.

This Road has recently had a segregated cycle lane put in at no doubt great expense.

So it's safe for cyclists and Sheffield Road is also fairly flat all the way through to Rotherham.

Guess what I never saw one cyclist using the cycle lane all the way to Rotherham and all the way back to Sheffield.

Oh and before anyone asks the sun was shining so no rain or snow etc.

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

We don't have many cycle lanes.

Most of what we do have consist of a painted white line near the gutter, as on Birley Moor Road.

Why pick on cyclists because the council have upset you?

You could always buy a bike with a trailer.

How would a bike with a trailer work ,I transport goods into the city centre and back out again ,none of which would fit in a trailer.

I don't visit the city centre for leisure,if I did I may use public transport,I go there daily for work .

5 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

This was around midday.

Oh and before anyone asks the sun was shining so no rain or snow etc.

How would a bike with a trailer work ,I transport goods into the city centre and back out again ,none of which would fit in a trailer.

I don't visit the city centre for leisure,if I did I may use public transport,I go there daily for work .

The Sheff to Rotherham road has something we don't have in the South East of Sheffield.  Good for them.

Perhaps the cyclists knew that there was an anti cyclist person about and decided it might be safer to stay in. 

I imagine there are many things around us that don't get much use at certain times.

Maybe we should throw all the public defibrillator's out because they sit there months or years before someone has a heart attack. 

The money spent on cycle tracks always was and always will be a very tiny fraction of that spent for other road users purposes.

Are you one of the over privelledged who thinks that money should ony be spent on things that you use.

I understand your dilemna but, if your answer is to have a go at cyclists, who have nothing whatsoever to do with it,  my concern for you evaporates.

Have a go at SCC and central government.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The Sheff to Rotherham road has something we don't have in the South East of Sheffield.  Good for them.

Perhaps the cyclists knew that there was an anti cyclist person about and decided it might be safer to stay in. 

I imagine there are many things around us that don't get much use at certain times.

Maybe we should throw all the public defibrillator's out because they sit there months or years before someone has a heart attack. 

The money spent on cycle tracks always was and always will be a very tiny fraction of that spent for other road users purposes.

Are you one of the over privelledged who thinks that money should ony be spent on things that you use.

I understand your dilemna but, if your answer is to have a go at cyclists, who have nothing whatsoever to do with it,  my concern for you evaporates.

Have a go at SCC and central government.

I haven't got a problem with cyclists however I do think that they ought to pay something towards the upkeep of the roads they are using .

I do also think that to much emphasis is currently being given to cyclists and cycle lanes when in reality very few cyclists are using them.

Defibrillators are totally different,they are used in an emergency,the use of a cycle is not an emergency.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do you think pedestrians should pay something towards the pavements they are using?

Oh, wait...

Of course not ,but pedestrians don't generally walk on the Roads ,and cyclists don't ride on the pavements either or at least they shouldn't do.

I am taxed as a vehicle user for using the roads,and as cyclists use the roads they should pay something towards their upkeep.i do have an electric car by the way which currently isn't taxed as it's zero emissions but as per the chancellor's plan it soon will be as it uses the roads ,so if cycles are zero emissions then they should also like electric car users in the future pay something towards Road usage.

13 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

I haven't got a problem with cyclists however I do think that they ought to pay something towards the upkeep of the roads they are using .

I do also think that to much emphasis is currently being given to cyclists and cycle lanes when in reality very few cyclists are using them.

Defibrillators are totally different,they are used in an emergency,the use of a cycle is not an emergency.

In what way do cyclists avoid paying for the roads?

I think you are under the impression that only motorists pay for the roads.

Most cyclists are in any case, are also motorists by the way.

In case you don't know, we are facing an emergency and your van eventually will not be allowed on the roads at all.

It must irk you to realise that cyclists will.  Thought I would just point that out as you don't have a problem with cyclists  NOT

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do you think pedestrians should pay something towards the pavements they are using?

Oh, wait...

Just thought as a pedestrian I like you and all other pedestrians pay for the upkeep of the pavements to walk on though something called Council Tax.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

In what way do cyclists avoid paying for the roads?

I think you are under the impression that only motorists pay for the roads.

Most cyclists are in any case, are also motorists by the way.

In case you don't know, we are facing an emergency and your van eventually will not be allowed on the roads at all.

It must irk you to realise that cyclists will.  Thought I would just point that out as you don't have a problem with cyclists  NOT

Emergency my arse !