Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

The above link shows a letter from the office of national statistics that states that during the period 2001 to 2021 in London there was  just ONE death attributed to air pollution.

That's because the causes of death on the death certificates (which is what the ONS is referring to there) will actually be listed as things like  congestive heart failure, pneumonia etc. It is is very unlikely that a doctor certifying the cause of death will list pollution as a contributory factor. It's kind of like how in the 19th century you would list "cholera" as the cause of death on the certificate, not "inadequate sewerage infrastructure".

Determining how many of these deaths are contributed to by pollution is done by indirect means, by epidemiologists using statistical techniques.

2 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Determining how many of these deaths are contributed to by pollution is done by indirect means, by epidemiologists using statistical techniques.

And we all know the definition of 'statistics', and how they can be (and are) manipulated.

17 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

That's because the causes of death on the death certificates (which is what the ONS is referring to there) will actually be listed as things like  congestive heart failure, pneumonia etc. It is is very unlikely that a doctor certifying the cause of death will list pollution as a contributory factor. It's kind of like how in the 19th century you would list "cholera" as the cause of death on the certificate, not "inadequate sewerage infrastructure".

Or how they dont write down "they smoked 40 cigarettes a day for 30 years".

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Or how they dont write down "they smoked 40 cigarettes a day for 30 years".

Interesting though that the authorities state that air pollution causes 500 excess deaths a year in Sheffield.

Load of tosh !

The air in Sheffield has never been cleaner than it is now and will naturally improve more over time anyway as we naturally upgrade to more efficient less polluting vehicles.

This Clowncil so needs to go ,they are a joke 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Of course I am. Which incoming administration would remove the CAZ even if they wanted to? Legally I think none of them can for nearly 3 years? 

They might - if they were pushed hard enough - but as we will get clones of the current administration, I doubt other than an earthquake would move them. I  haven't been following this assiduously,  but I understand some people with more knowledge of the legal system than me believe it can be challenged.