Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

10 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

UTC is well know for being re-active and not pro-active. They also frequently take their "eye off the ball".

Anyone with a good brain could do a better job, it would not be difficult to do.

There’s a lot more goes on than you apparently understand or give them credit for.

Many of the strategies they implement work automatically on queue lengths and traffic levels, many change by time of day. Manual intervention is quite rare.

Some people see a couple of examples of where things haven’t worked too well on a particular occasion and never stop going in a bout it, ignoring that the city traffic moves efficiently fir the huge majority of the time…….

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why - IMHO just to cause aggravation - but councils always know best.🤣

Safety, to slow drivers down.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Sometimes those red lights are deliberate. ( some junctions are designed to sit at red on all approaches when there’s no traffic around) Some may be due to faulty detectors.

Most modern cities have a lot of traffic signals on major routes, what makes you think this one should be different?

of course they are, the game is to frustrate the motorist.

faulty detectors, and ineptitude.

why do you continually repeat the most major cities stuff in every discussion, it's of no relevance, just misdirection.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Sometimes those red lights are deliberate. ( some junctions are designed to sit at red on all approaches when there’s no traffic around) Some may be due to faulty detectors.

Most modern cities have a lot of traffic signals on major routes, what makes you think this one should be different?

Other towns/cities operate their lights different, they have 4 way flashing  amber at times of very low traffic flow (2 am etc) and don't have fixed red forcing vehicles to stop....go and have a look at them!

If the detectors are faulty, go fix them, it's a safety issue. 

Nothing wrong with lots of signals if they are managed correctly, but it seems ours are not or the people in charge don't want them to be managed. 

Guest busdriver1
3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There’s a lot more goes on than you apparently understand or give them credit for.

Many of the strategies they implement work automatically on queue lengths and traffic levels, many change by time of day. Manual intervention is quite rare.

Some people see a couple of examples of where things haven’t worked too well on a particular occasion and never stop going in a bout it, ignoring that the city traffic moves efficiently fir the huge majority of the time…….

And SOME have very clear understanding of how it "works" and how to tell when certain members of staff are on duty by where the issues are.

Guest busdriver1
Just now, RollingJ said:

Of course - why didn't silly me think of that? 🤣🤣

If they proceed to quickly they will not emit as much pollution and then not  justify the "non clean air zone" 

3 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Other towns/cities operate their lights different, they have 4 way flashing  amber at times of very low traffic flow (2 am etc) and don't have fixed red forcing vehicles to stop....go and have a look at them!

If the detectors are faulty, go fix them, it's a safety issue. 

Nothing wrong with lots of signals if they are managed correctly, but it seems ours are not or the people in charge don't want them to be managed. 

I’ve seen the flashing amber in the USA, ( but only at relatively few junctions) but not in the uk. Where do you mean?

Different places have different strategies on operating signals, it varies place to place.

To fix all the detectors you need money. Certainly in the past, they didn’t have enough in the maintenance budget.

Detectors failing just puts a demand in for a green signal on that approach, which means the signals always change to green on that approach even when no traffic is there. It isn’t in itself unsafe.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I’ve seen the flashing amber in the USA, ( but only at relatively few junctions) but not in the uk. Where do you mean?

Different places have different strategies on operating signals, it varies place to place.

To fix all the detectors you need money. Certainly in the past, they didn’t have enough in the maintenance budget.

Detectors failing just puts a demand in for a green signal on that approach, which means the signals always change to green on that approach even when no traffic is there. It isn’t in itself unsafe.

I've seen flashing Amber in the states at many locations in several cities and it seems to work,  obviously drivers have to learn/be told how it works, but it does. 

You say "to fix all the detectors ", just how many have failed and why are they not fixed when they do?

While we are here...have the new cameras on the box junctions been installed yet? I'm asking as I had to cross a box junction today and it reminded me. 

If a failed detector sends a demand for a green signal then there must be a red in the cross direction...even when there is no traffic one way and some the other waiting for a red to change. I  agree not unsafe but unnecessary delay to traffic causing unnecessary pollution