Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

On 22/12/2022 at 07:23, HeHasRisen said:

You own a fully calibrated speed gun?

You don't need that. All you need to do is measure out a reasonable distance then use a stopwatch and a bit of maths. The most accurate marks are ones on the road (= less parallax error).

Whatever Planner1 says (about people being poor at estimating car speeds) I did that on the road I used to live on and proved I could estimate a car's speed with a fair degree of accuracy.

Edited by Chekhov

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You don't need that. All you need to do is measure out a reasonable distance then use a stopwatch and a bit of maths. The most accurate marks are ones on the road (= less parallax error).

Whatever Planner1 says (about people being poor at estimating car speeds) I did that on the road I used to live on and proved I could estimate a car's speed with a fair degree of accuracy.

None of which is admissible in court.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

When you time a vehicle over a set distance ( ie between two marks you have measured out) you aren’t estimating the speed, you are measuring it. The Police measure speed with a system that does this,  VASCAR. 

Many people think they can look at a vehicle travelling along and know how fast it is travelling. They are estimating the speed and,  most of them aren’t very good at it. 

Edited by Planner1

If the Sheffield Clean air zone (CAZ) is applied to buses, HGV/LGVs and taxis only, will this be a temporary scheme ? 

I'm guessing the bus companies will either run their buses that are compliant of the CAZ requirements to avoid a daily charge.  That then leaves HGV/LGVs drivers who will also do the same.  How many private hire taxi drivers are there in Sheffield ?  Many may already have compliant vehicles.   Black Hackney cabs will probably reduce significantly in number as a result of the charge as more leave the black cab profession or move to using a private hire (car) vehicle.   

Either way I can see that in 2-3 years the limited scope in the CAZ criteria will require it being rolled out to all vehicles entering the CAZ zone in order to pay for the running of the scheme.  That will be a worry given that we have to pay to park in the City centre.

If air quality is in fact above legal levels, why do we simply not ban the offending vehicles ?  Why allow people who can afford the daily CAZ zone to continue to pollute the air we breathe ?

22 minutes ago, last warrior said:

If the Sheffield Clean air zone (CAZ) is applied to buses, HGV/LGVs and taxis only, will this be a temporary scheme ? 

I'm guessing the bus companies will either run their buses that are compliant of the CAZ requirements to avoid a daily charge.  That then leaves HGV/LGVs drivers who will also do the same.  How many private hire taxi drivers are there in Sheffield ?  Many may already have compliant vehicles.   Black Hackney cabs will probably reduce significantly in number as a result of the charge as more leave the black cab profession or move to using a private hire (car) vehicle.   

Either way I can see that in 2-3 years the limited scope in the CAZ criteria will require it being rolled out to all vehicles entering the CAZ zone in order to pay for the running of the scheme.  That will be a worry given that we have to pay to park in the City centre.

If air quality is in fact above legal levels, why do we simply not ban the offending vehicles ?  Why allow people who can afford the daily CAZ zone to continue to pollute the air we breathe ?

If you believe the doom mongers on here the scheme will 100% start to include cars at some point. I will believe that when it happens.

Back in the real world, its meant to last as long as its needed to bring pollution levels down, however given they are down almost across the board (bar near the train station) its a bit odd that its starting in the first place.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Planner1 said:

When you time a vehicle over a set distance ( ie between two marks you have measured out) you aren’t estimating the speed, you are measuring it. The Police measure speed with a system that does this,  VASCAR. 

Many people think they can look at a vehicle travelling along and know how fast it is travelling. They are estimating the speed and,  most of them aren’t very good at it. 

I was able to use this accurate method of checking cars speeds to confirm I can reasonably accurately estimate cars speeds.

As an example, I am telling you most (as in more than 50%) of the cars driving through Oughtibridge are exceeding the speed limit, many, between the 30mph limit and Cockshutts Lane, by a fair amount.

Obviously estimating a vehicle speed is more difficult if it is coming towards you, but it is still possible.

One thing to watch for is that louder vehicles often seem to be travelling faster than a quiet vehicle doing the same speed.

On 26/12/2022 at 11:40, HeHasRisen said:

And how is gaining 3 points compatible with keeping a taxi driver permit from the council? I dont know the answer to this btw so I am not being sarcastic.

i dont know the rules regarding taxi drivers and wasn't referring to them i meant hgv or private van drivers