Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Or, it was a York MP asking a parliamentary question, whether the government would require local councils across the country introduce 10pm restrictions in all residential areas.

a question with an agenda behind it, not some idle curiosity.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I hope you mean 10mph there, otherwise you will be sending the conspiracy theorists into a right oul tizz. Be tin foil everywhere. 

Yeah, auto correct changed what I typed. Edited it now.

1 minute ago, fools said:

a question with an agenda behind it, not some idle curiosity.

That MP must have a lot of agendas then. Over 6000 parliamentary questions lodged by them.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, auto correct changed what I typed. Edited it now.

That MP must have a lot of agendas then. Over 6000 parliamentary questions lodged by them.

you a fan then?

I'm sure it's a question everyone ponders from time to time, for no reason

Edited by fools

28 minutes ago, fools said:

you a fan then?

I'm sure it's a question everyone ponders from time to time, for no reason

Nope. Not a fan of the signs and roadmarkings only 20mph zones that are going in all over the place either.

MP’s ask many questions for many reasons. Doesn’t mean it’s anything for anyone to be concerned about.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Nope. Not a fan of the signs and roadmarkings only 20mph zones that are going in all over the place either.

MP’s ask many questions for many reasons. Doesn’t mean it’s anything for anyone to be concerned about.

there's lots to be concerned about regarding to the environmental agenda that is spinning around the minds of officialdom

Edited by fools

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

only 20mph zones that are going in all over the place either.

I support these 20mph zones. On residential streets, 30mph is not an appropriate speed. I was crossing a road in Leeds a few weeks ago and a car came around the corner at 30mph (the road was clear when I stepped out to cross) and very nearly ran me over, it didn't slow down either when it saw me. 

Perhaps if you get up off your backside and try walking to your local shops instead of driving, you might see how difficult it is to cross a road as a pedestrian. That is not even mentioning the docile drivers who completely ignore zebra crossings, or the ones who rev their engines at pelican crossings to try and intimidate you as you cross. Or try waiting the best part of 5 minutes to get across a 2 lane road in rush hour.

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I support these 20mph zones. On residential streets, 30mph is not an appropriate speed. I was crossing a road in Leeds a few weeks ago and a car came around the corner at 30mph (the road was clear when I stepped out to cross) and very nearly ran me over, it didn't slow down either when it saw me. 

Perhaps if you get up off your backside and try walking to your local shops instead of driving, you might see how difficult it is to cross a road as a pedestrian. That is not even mentioning the docile drivers who completely ignore zebra crossings, or the ones who rev their engines at pelican crossings to try and intimidate you as you cross. Or try waiting the best part of 5 minutes to get across a 2 lane road in rush hour.

Really.

If you support them can you tell us what difference they make to average speeds and casualty rates then? If you want motorists to slow down, signs and road markings aren’t the answer. They don’t work. Hardly anyone observes the limit and the police refuse to enforce them.

How do you actually know what speed the car was doing? The average person is not good at estimating vehicle speed. 

And how do you know how I choose to travel? You don’t, so don’t pontificate to me about walking. 

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Really.

If you support them can you tell us what difference they make to average speeds and casualty rates then? If you want motorists to slow down, signs and road markings aren’t the answer. They don’t work. Hardly anyone observes the limit and the police refuse to enforce them.

How do you actually know what speed the car was doing? The average person is not good at estimating vehicle speed. 

And how do you know how I choose to travel? You don’t, so don’t pontificate to me about walking. 

If you want statistics,  I suggest you visit the ONS website. The Highways Act are making roads 20mph for a very good reason.

The car driver told me he was traveling at 30mph when I shouted at him to slow down after he nearly ran me over. Some morons think 30 applies to every stretch of the road, even around corners.

The police do enforce speed limits, I often see vans parked on the road to detect offending vehicles with speed guns.

If you actually spent a day as a pedestrian, you would see why we feel safer with a 20mph speed limit.

And then there is the fact that we often have to walk in the road because you car users can't seem to stick to your own space and keep parking on our pavements.

Edited by Irene Swaine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The police do enforce speed limits, I often see vans parked on the road to detect offending vehicles with speed guns.

That us usually the work of Safety Camera Partnerships or whatever they are called, not the police. I have also never seen one of these on a 20mph road. 

Edited by HeHasRisen