Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I don't think the police or safety partnership enforce the 20mph limits.

There must be SOME enforcement of it somewhere though... How was the Archbishop of Canterbury caught doing 25 in a 20 in London? Static camera? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If you want statistics,  I suggest you visit the ONS website. The Highways Act are making roads 20mph for a very good reason.

The car driver told me he was traveling at 30mph when I shouted at him to slow down after he nearly ran me over. Some morons think 30 applies to every stretch of the road, even around corners.

The police do enforce speed limits, I often see vans parked on the road to detect offending vehicles with speed guns.

If you actually spent a day as a pedestrian, you would see why we feel safer with a 20mph speed limit.

And then there is the fact that we often have to walk in the road because you car users can't seem to stick to your own space and keep parking on our pavements.

Yes, the police enforce speed limits, but not 20 limits.

They have advised the council here and others elsewhere that they will not enforce signs and lines only 20 zones because in their view, 20 zones should have appropriate engineering features to make them self enforcing. I’d share that view. Studies have shown that signs and markings only 20 zones make negligible difference to average speeds and casualty rates. So, if they make you perceive it’s safer, you are probably actually less safe as you may not take as much care.

Why are you being so aggressive and personal about car use?

It’s none of your business, but I actually do usually walk everywhere I can, which is further than most will walk. I also cycle. My cars don’t get much use nowadays.

I understand the needs and issues of all road users very well. It’s my job.

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

There must be SOME enforcement of it somewhere though... How was the Archbishop of Canterbury caught doing 25 in a 20 in London? Static camera? 

I believe they can do it with a laser speed gun nowadays. There was talk of a trial of average speed cameras for 20 zones but not heard anything on whether it happened.

Enforcement of 20 zones is not common.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They have advised the council here and others elsewhere that they will not enforce signs and lines only 20 zones because in their view, 20 zones should have appropriate engineering features to make them self enforcing

It's not their decision what laws they do and don't enforce. They have to enforce all of the laws, otherwise democracy goes out of the window. 

With the logic you describe, they could say, "sorry Mr Watkins, we have found the person who burgled your shed but we aren't going to do anything, as they support Sheffield United and so do we, so we don't want to arrest a fellow 'Blade'".

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's not their decision what laws they do and don't enforce. They have to enforce all of the laws, otherwise democracy goes out of the window. 

With the logic you describe, they could say, "sorry Mr Watkins, we have found the person who burgled your shed but we aren't going to do anything, as they support Sheffield United and so do we, so we don't want to arrest a fellow 'Blade'".

Well no, what happens in reality is they don't bother even investigating who broke into your shed in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Some of this is a rather silly comment. 

At schools near my home they erected 20 mph signs to warn drivers about the school and slow them down. When asked, the police declared that they wont enforce the  advisory 20 mph and the actual speed limit on the road is 40 mph  as defined and recognised by law and hasn't been changed. I  know this doesn't apply to everywhere and different ',rules' may be used for other places. 

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Now if, as we're led to believe, that two thirds of the Sheffield population support Sheffield Wednesday...

... then statistically speaking, the person who burgled your shed would be more likely to be an "Owl", so it is unlikely this scenario would ever happen! :hihi:

5 hours ago, Meltman said:

Some of this is a rather silly comment. 

At schools near my home they erected 20 mph signs to warn drivers about the school and slow them down. When asked, the police declared that they wont enforce the  advisory 20 mph and the actual speed limit on the road is 40 mph  as defined and recognised by law and hasn't been changed. I  know this doesn't apply to everywhere and different ',rules' may be used for other places. 

So the signs aren't legally enforceable? I certainly hope the same goes for those stupid "public space protection zones" and "you are in a designated public place" signs that try to dissuade people from consuming alcohol. They certainly shouldn't be enforced.

16 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

So the signs aren't legally enforceable?

I can't comment about the signs near that school, but in general, a "20" in a red roundel is legal and enforceable, and in theory you could be prosecuted for driving at 21mph past such a sign. In practice, as has been mentioned, the police don't have such enforcement as a high priority.

• Like 1