Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

• 2 weeks later...

As a small business owner who carries out daily collection and deliveries in the city centre using two lgv vans i find this planned charge to be totally wrong at a time when we along with many other small business owners struggled through COVID and now every increasing prices due to the cost of living crisis.why is it that one can have a vauxhall astra diesel estate car registered privately and the exact same vehicle without windows in the back with the exact same engine be treated differently?.

The one with windows is not charged but the one without is charged the CAZ fee.

Encouraging people to use public transport or walk or ride bikes is all well and good but businesses in the city centre still need deliveries.perhaps if we hadn't needed to take out the COVID bounce back loan and associated monthly payments we could afford to upgrade our vehicles.

As things are I'm struggling to work out how we are going to work with this unnecessary charge.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mike1961 said:

As a small business owner who carries out daily collection and deliveries in the city centre using two lgv vans i find this planned charge to be totally wrong at a time when we along with many other small business owners struggled through COVID and now every increasing prices due to the cost of living crisis.why is it that one can have a vauxhall astra diesel estate car registered privately and the exact same vehicle without windows in the back with the exact same engine be treated differently?.

The one with windows is not charged but the one without is charged the CAZ fee.

Encouraging people to use public transport or walk or ride bikes is all well and good but businesses in the city centre still need deliveries.perhaps if we hadn't needed to take out the COVID bounce back loan and associated monthly payments we could afford to upgrade our vehicles.

As things are I'm struggling to work out how we are going to work with this unnecessary charge.

Not isbeen properly thought through has it?

All sorts of anomalies such as this will arise.

And it's not as if the city centre is doing very well as it is...

the whole thing has not been thought through properly, its central gov led but i am sure scc have a say in where the zone starts and stops?? i had a letter yesterday as i had gone into the zone warning me its going live soon. all this will do in sheffield is push white van man and independent hauliers etc onto narrow roads blocking access for ambulance fire police etc  especially at peak road times. this also includes the whole of the ring road so you cant even circumvent the city centre?? ludicrous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ab6262 said:

the whole thing has not been thought through properly, its central gov led but i am sure scc have a say in where the zone starts and stops?? i had a letter yesterday as i had gone into the zone warning me its going live soon. all this will do in sheffield is push white van man and independent hauliers etc onto narrow roads blocking access for ambulance fire police etc  especially at peak road times. this also includes the whole of the ring road so you cant even circumvent the city centre?? ludicrous.

Or, they will absorb it into their fees and charges and recoup the tenner a day back that way.

Or, they will look at getting a compliant vehicle.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Or, they will absorb it into their fees and charges and recoup the tenner a day back that way.

Or, they will look at getting a compliant vehicle.

no they wont, they wont spend a tenner to cross town they will drive on side roads, ha ha very funny a compliant hgv or van do me a favour do you  know how much they cost and if a hgv even exists! yes large companies probably will absorb the charge but i doubt small independents will?

11 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

no they wont, they wont spend a tenner to cross town they will drive on side roads, ha ha very funny a compliant hgv or van do me a favour do you  know how much they cost and if a hgv even exists! yes large companies probably will absorb the charge but i doubt small independents will?

Compliant vans certainly exist. Pretty sure many firms without compliant vehicles will eventually pass this cost on when they get sick of using rat runs and the extra time this will take.

Edited by HeHasRisen

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Compliant vans certainly exist. Pretty sure many firms without compliant vehicles will eventually pass this cost on when they get sick of using rat runs and the extra time this will take.

Hold up, Since when did drivers become rats and the runs are roads which made for the same transport as other roads.

32 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

hgv or van do me a favour do you  know how much they cost and if a hgv even exists! 

From what I’ve read, pretty much all trucks sold since September 2016 have been Euro 6.

Grants are available to help with the cost of upgrading.

41 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

the whole thing has not been thought through properly, its central gov led but i am sure scc have a say in where the zone starts and stops?? 

Yes the council have to work out how they will become compliant with the air quality standards and set the clean air zone boundary accordingly.

They have done that and have found that they won’t be able to achieve compliance if they don’t include the inner ring road.

9 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Did you know that grants are available to help businesses to upgrade their vehicles?

Have a look at this page for the support available.

Do you not care about the air we all breathe? This is about getting nitrogen dioxide levels in the city centre below legal levels. Buses, trucks, vans and taxis are the major contributors to the poor air quality levels.  The concept is “polluter pays”.